Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #1

Track session - 6 speed

Near the end of my fourth and last track on Sunday my 6-speed became very stiff to shift and still is on the street to some degree. Moving to gears on the back of the gate became very tricky ....down into second and up into fourth.....any ideas? The gearbox fill is fairly recent and there are no apparent leaks

Old 08-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Pat

How is the condition of the front engine mount?
Old 08-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #3

The mount was looked at recently in place and was said to be in good shape. Perhaps I need to pull it to really check. Thanks for the idea....
Old 08-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #4

i lost my shifting at the end of an hpde one weekend and think it was actually the cable (and lots and lots of heat) that was the issue, not the transmission. the transmission cable crosses an a/c hose (which had partially melted through) overtop of the engine (where the heat hangs out) and down to the transmission where the mechanism is protected by a shield (which is what i think was rattling at the end of the day due to excessive heat soak).

once the car cooled all was fine. so, check the cable where it connects to the transmission and at the top of your engine for heat damage.

Last edited by The Radium King; 08-29-2011 at 02:04 PM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King
i lost my shifting at the end of an hpde one weekend and think it was actually the cable (and lots and lots of heat) that was the issue, not the transmission. the transmission cable crosses an a/c hose (which had partially melted through) overtop of the engine (where the heat hangs out) and down to the transmission where the mechanism is protected by a shield (which is what i think was rattling at the end of the day due to excessive heat soak).

once the car cooled all was fine. so, check the cable where it connects to the transmission and at the top of your engine for heat damage.
This sounds like exactly like my symptoms. I didn't know that the shifter cable ran over the engine and will be sure to check this out. Thanks for the input. I also melted and balled up my ps2s trying to stay with the pace of a 996 4 and turbo. The turbo was in and out of his PSM and could blast into corners much faster after a straight. 993s were on me as well as soon as I made a mistake in a corner...anyway just learning ....will do a post about this soon
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #6

yup. a 997 c4 was my demise; going into corners too fast trying to keep up. got the brakes too hot and all sorts of things you would think were not associated with brakes started to go south. instructor advised that all that heat has to go somewhere, so it soaks into anything it can and makes it go wonky.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #7

Do you have the GT3 brake ducts on? They are 8 dollars a side...and may help. It is very easy to stay on the brakes for too long a duration and cook them. You could try breaking hard and fast there-by letting them get cooling time might work then again you probably already know this..

Is this the 3.8 you are tracking? Does it give you any breathing room? I really started thinking about a conversion again after last weekend.

Last edited by jaykay; 08-31-2011 at 11:05 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #8

no 3.8; just 3.2 hard-working litres like you. getting the ducts and thinking about other heat management measures (aside from developing better braking technique); anybody wrap their exhaust?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #9

My whole muffler is black ceramic coated ....this seems to help a bit with heat dissipation but I dont have any testing to back this up