Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #1

Euro headerss/cats vs US headers/cats

I've got a 2001 euro base boxster with tip. Am interested in modding a sports cat and possibly with sports headers.

The problem I have is that the euro base 2001 boxster has no cats on the headers, only the "secondary" cats, which in my case are the primaries and are monitored by o2 sensors.

Can I use the '99 US specs sports cats to my stock euro headers ?

I'm just wondering if the entire exhaust system on the '99 US spec cars are the same to my 2001 euro specs ?

I had checked with fabspeed and they can't tell me whether I can just order the '99 US specs stuff and fit on my car... Unless I change the entire setup from headers to exhaust... which is pretty expensive and I'm not looking for more sound, just a freer flowing cats and headers.

shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #2

Garage
Basically, should you look for a set of high quality headers that have the appropriate size tube diameters which incorporate longer equal length primaries that flow into a well design merge collector. Those shouldn't be too hard to find. High quality headers for the boxster are plentiful, and prices run the gamut . However, as far as the cats are concerned, in order to improve upon the oem set-up, you'll need to source something along the lines of HJS or Emitec 200 cell tri-metal cats. These items can be very ex$pensive ! In addition, the cats will likely be offered in "raw" form only; which means that they'll have to be fabricated into your system . There's really no inexpensive way around it .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 07-28-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #3

i think that any of the aftermarket headers that will fit a 2001 will fit your car. they typically come in two versions: with and without cats. also, any of the aftermarket midpipes will fit your car: again with and without cats.

the difference between oem euro and oem us is that oem euro does not have cats on the headers, only the mid pipes. oem us has cats on both (stricter emmissions).

us cars monitor the presence of cats in the system by putting an o2 sensor after the cats on the headers. euro cars do not monitor this at all, so theoretically you could run without any cats. the reduction in back pressue you get by doing this is said to increase top end power but reduce mid-range torque a wee bit.

there are cheap headers on the market ($100-ish); check ebay. there are NO cheap midpipes on the market; the only makers i can find are stebro, nhp and fabspeed ($500 for a straight pipe, more if you want cats in it).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King
i think that any of the aftermarket headers that will fit a 2001 will fit your car. they typically come in two versions: with and without cats. also, any of the aftermarket midpipes will fit your car: again with and without cats.

the difference between oem euro and oem us is that oem euro does not have cats on the headers, only the mid pipes. oem us has cats on both (stricter emmissions).

us cars monitor the presence of cats in the system by putting an o2 sensor after the cats on the headers. euro cars do not monitor this at all, so theoretically you could run without any cats. the reduction in back pressue you get by doing this is said to increase top end power but reduce mid-range torque a wee bit.

there are cheap headers on the market ($100-ish); check ebay. there are NO cheap midpipes on the market; the only makers i can find are stebro, nhp and fabspeed ($500 for a straight pipe, more if you want cats in it).

There lies the most important question - are you saying that the US 2001 (with cat on headers) and the Euro 2001 (without cat on headers) have the same size headers, at least for fitment and length ?

I'm actually more interested in sports 200 cel cats on the midpipes, but until I know whether the US and euro headers are the same fitment and length, I'm not confident of ordering the sports cats mid pipe (which are meant for US 2001 models).
Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8
There lies the most important question - are you saying that the US 2001 (with cat on headers) and the Euro 2001 (without cat on headers) have the same size headers, at least for fitment and length ?

I'm actually more interested in sports 200 cel cats on the midpipes, but until I know whether the US and euro headers are the same fitment and length, I'm not confident of ordering the sports cats mid pipe (which are meant for US 2001 models).
There shouldn't be any difference in overall length between the US and Euro
headers . Absent of the pre-cat, the primaries on the euro headers should extend to about the same length . Also, unless you've been able to source cats that already incorporate mid pipes, some fabrication will be necessary anyway . Therefore, the exhaust can be configured from the headers downward .
Old 08-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
There shouldn't be any difference in overall length between the US and Euro
headers . Absent of the pre-cat, the primaries on the euro headers should extend to about the same length . Also, unless you've been able to source cats that already incorporate mid pipes, some fabrication will be necessary anyway . Therefore, the exhaust can be configured from the headers downward .

Thanks for the reply... I was hoping that the euro 2001 headers would be the same as the US '99 headers so that I can use the fabspeed '99 mid pipes with sports cat (my mistake in the prev post).

The fabrication of sports cats into the mid-pipe doesn't look easy. There are afew crazy angles in that pipe.

Good news is that the search for headers just got easier.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #7

Garage
I was at FabSpeeds Shop in mid July they flashed my ECU I believe they make their systems to fit. They were fabticating exhausts for 4 different cars when I was there. Just call them. I'm sure they can answer this better than anyone here.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash
I was at FabSpeeds Shop in mid July they flashed my ECU I believe they make their systems to fit. They were fabticating exhausts for 4 different cars when I was there. Just call them. I'm sure they can answer this better than anyone here.

Is that right ! First off, the member already contacted Fabspeed and they couldn't provide him with an answer . Secondly, there are many of us on this forum who could crap more knowledge and understanding of exhaust systems that FabSpeed could !
Old 08-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #9

I've got a 2001 boxster with a euro S (3.2L) motor and currently running the US exhaust system with 2 sensors disconnected. I'm interested in an exhaust upgrade but I'm not sure which direction to go.
robertsmau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmau
I've got a 2001 boxster with a euro S (3.2L) motor and currently running the US exhaust system with 2 sensors disconnected. I'm interested in an exhaust upgrade but I'm not sure which direction to go.

Does your system consist of headers with pre-cats, along with secondary cats ?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:24 AM   #11

That's what's on it now. I wanted to keep the euro headers but they were bent in shipping so my temp solution is the header w/cat
Old 08-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmau
That's what's on it now. I wanted to keep the euro headers but they were bent in shipping so my temp solution is the header w/cat
There's no inexpensive way to replace the oem header/pre-cat set-up . In fact, there's really no inexpensive way to properly improve upon the factory exhaust system period . However, if your goal is to retain the oem set-up (deleting the secondary cats of course), then I know of only two companies that offer high quality versions of this design; Fabspeed ($2200) and FVD/Brombacher ($4,000) . Another option would be to replace the oem set-up with individual headers and install at set of low cell "sport" cats where the secondaries are located . This involves extending the O2 sensors to those cats in order to keep the vehicle OBD compliant and avoid CEL's . Again, this is not a low cost solution either. Since, sourcing high quality cats can be both difficult and very expensive . A cheap solution would be to replace the oem headers/pre-cats with singular design and utilize the secondary cats by extending the O2 sensors to them . The problem with this set-up is that the oem secondary cats are arguably the most restrictive (in some cases as high as 600 cell) part of the factory exhaust system . And, they're very heavy also !

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 08-13-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #13

At those prices, I love my current setup Maybe I'll put a cat back on it someday for the sound and just be happy with the current performance. I'm not used to these P-car prices.