Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

Oil cooler - base vs "S"

I just changed out some parts on the car, and thought I'd share a pic of the visual difference between the oil cooler my base Boxster came with vs the one for the "S" that I replaced it with.

See attached pic.

The oil cooler requires 4 o-rings, and it was a challenge getting the right part numbers.

Attached Images

Old 07-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #2

If you are willing to go through all of that trouble, could you put the monster gt3 oil cooler on? It looks like it bolts up.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Nice upgrade, clickman. I wish I had installed the larger one on my car when I replaced the water pump, thermostat, coolant, etc. two years ago.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
If you are willing to go through all of that trouble, could you put the monster gt3 oil cooler on? It looks like it bolts up.
Actually, it will not; plus the "S" cooler sits partially under the intake runners, and is the tallest that will fit in the space.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Nice upgrade! Will have to put this on my TO DO list.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
Actually, it was surprisingly little trouble. Undo and remove the air inlet tube (easy) and there it is. Unclip the vacuum line, undo four small bolts, and off it comes.

Warning: hold it horizontal until you can get something under it, cuz it's full of oil and coolant, which in my case ended up all over the engine and floor.

Actually, getting the air inlet tube back onto the throttle body was a bit of a PITA, but I'm not the strongest guy in the world.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #7

clickman, is there any noticeable difference after the mod ??
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Awesome, thanks for sharing, clickman! I guess this is another one to add to the growing list.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8
clickman, is there any noticeable difference after the mod ??
Not that I can "see". Thanks to JFP in PA, who convinced me it was the right thing to do:

For around $200, it is one of the best things you can do to your car, and one of the few that can actually make a difference that can be measured. Because the cooler is oil to water, and the S cooler is more than twice the size, its heat transfer capacity is much higher, both in hot and cold environments. In hot weather, the cooler will pull more heat out of the oil more quickly due to its capacity, extending the life of your oil and ultimately your engine. In cold weather, it will warm up the oil to operating temps more quickly than the stock unit. It is also not uncommon to see UoA’s on any oil improve after this upgrade, and it has no moving parts, so it is there for the life of the car. Not bad for $200………