Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #1

Question Must Go Faster!!!!

Hey everybody, how is everyone? I have a 97 boxster, and love it. To me it has always been pretty quick. But today I came to a realization. I need some more performance. I almost got spanked by a chevy pickup, and then a cadillac. I've waxed the typical civic, but in a world where performance is advancing so must I. I am wondering if anyone knows how to increase my acceleration. I am into cars, and love them, and know quite a bit, but I am at a loss on this one. Turbos don't exist, the only supercharger will really screw you over, from what I hear, and as much as I love the thought of NOS. I'd like to keep my motor in one piece. The boxster does great in the corners and will out handle about anything, but I need some more speed off the line. Any one have any idea what I can do?

wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #2

Talking

Sadly, I would consider trading up to an S.

A nice used 2000 S might be the deal.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:28 PM   #3

unfortunatly

I don't want to do that, becuase I have done alot of custom work on the int. of my car (neons, fire extinguisher, cool little things that took alot of time.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:29 PM   #4

Whoa hold up, you can turbo a boxster. You can get get 290hp on your 2.5 with this twin turbo setup. But yeah, it makes alot more sense to sell the 97 and get a 00 S model.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:27 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
You put neons and a fire extinguisher in your car? Ouch -- set it free, and buy a Vette for more power!

Just kidding; to each his own, I guess. Really, the base Boxster is just not a powerhouse. The thing is if you're one of those people who's never satisfied with the amount of power they have, then you should probably switch to another car altogether. The "S" will be faster, but in the end, the Boxster is just not receptive to modifications, as would be say, a Supra TT or an Audi 1.8t. And eventually you WILL get disatisfied with the S and want more power.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:35 AM   #6

Your ultimate solution is a 3.4 engine swap. Problem is that it will cost you 15k or more and when and if it gets wrecked or stolen the insurance company will pay you as if you had a 2.5 in there. But, you'll have a sleeper that will do 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

I agree with the others... if street drag racing is your gig, sell your boxster and buy a Vette.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:51 AM   #7

2001 3.4 engine from our local PCA chapter BB -
http://www.carolinas-pca.com/
anybody ever made this swap successfully?
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #8

Need to speed

I would like to have more HP as anyone else. At the same time I am pragmatic person. Is going 10 miles and hour faster or 1/2 second faster worth 10 to 20 thousand dollars? Absolutedly not! big deal if you get passed by another car. If you had an older Porsche 911 you would be passed too. So what is everyone going to do? Buy newer faster cars to be first to the next red light. There are already plenty of cars that can whip a Boxster in a straight line but race tracks have also left and right turns. Take them there and whip their asses red as those faster cars can't negotiate the turns as a Boxster. Forget about the other cars and enjoy your Boxster it is good enough as is.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
I would like to have more HP as anyone else. At the same time I am pragmatic person. Is going 10 miles and hour faster or 1/2 second faster worth 10 to 20 thousand dollars? Absolutedly not! big deal if you get passed by another car. If you had an older Porsche 911 you would be passed too. So what is everyone going to do? Buy newer faster cars to be first to the next red light. There are already plenty of cars that can whip a Boxster in a straight line but race tracks have also left and right turns. Take them there and whip their asses red as those faster cars can't negotiate the turns as a Boxster. Forget about the other cars and enjoy your Boxster it is good enough as is.

Ditto,

What he said.........

2003 Audi TT quattro Coupe
6-speed 225 HP Black/Black/Black
it's stock...no really it's stock man

My other car was a 2001 Boxster
MLegere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:20 PM   #10

Don't junk up the collection with a Vette. Spend $6-10K and add a 928.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #11

This might be what you are looking for.
http://www.turboperformance.ws/Porsche/SCKits/BSC/Boxster.htm

http://www.abauer.com/scripts/shopplus.cgi?DN=abauer.com&CARTID=%CArtid%25&ACTION=action&FILE=/boxster.htm

http://www.t-t-p.de/english/986.php
Old 06-23-2005, 09:37 PM   #12

Keep in mind, I say this ONLY because it's not MY car...

but...

...put NO2 in it!
Please! I implore you! Simply for the curiosity of the strangers on this board (namely me)! I want you to regale us with the possible triumphs and/or terrors of your mechanical adventures.

Do it wheelman! We're behind you*!

(by that I mean we are in no way responsible for any destruction, mishaps, loss of life, or any kind of breakdown -mechanical or mental that may result. Nor are we willing to contribute any meaningful and useful information that will aid in your installation. But seriously, do it.)
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:34 AM   #13

I second the opinion, put a 50 or 75 shot of NOS. You can SAFELY run up to half of your stock horsepower, so your well below the threshold with either.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #14

How much nitrous would it take to get my 2.7L to be the same as a 3.2L? 50-shot? 75? Would I need to increase the fuel-pump size?

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote