Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 02:53 AM   #1

spark plug tube replacement

A couple of questions. Fist, can/should the tubes be replaced wwith the plugs still installed? Second, if the transom plug method of removal of the tube doesn't work I've read that a brake spring tool works but I'm having trouble visualizing how that works. Whats the procedure for the brake spring tool. Any othe methods you suggest?

san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:29 AM   #2

if you're replacing & not reusing the tubes, just use a short pry bar to get the old ones out. very easy.

this CAN be done w/ the spark plugs installed. if it were me, i'd go ahead & replace the plugs at the same time since i'm already there.....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
if you're replacing & not reusing the tubes, just use a short pry bar to get the old ones out. very easy.

this CAN be done w/ the spark plugs installed. if it were me, i'd go ahead & replace the plugs at the same time since i'm already there.....

Just did the plugs and didn't notice the tube was leaking! I guess i can't visualize how to use the pry bar. So do I just put the pry bar in the tube, wedge it against the side of the tube and pull out?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho
So do I just put the pry bar in the tube, wedge it against the side of the tube and pull out?

exactly. the pry bar will grab the top of the tube & pull it loose.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #5

Transom plug works like a charm.. Insert, hand tight and then start twisting with pliers it'll pop the tube right out
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #6

I used a long bolt with a large washer and nut. Insert the bolt the plug tube until the washer slips through and comes in contact with the inner lip near the spark plug. You are then able to use a spanner or pliers on the bolt for some leverage to remove the tube.

My tubes had never been replaced and the transon plug did not work. I was also told to punch a hole through them with a screwdriver and pull them out, trouble is, if they don't then come out you cant drive the car.

I did not do the plugs, will leave that for another day.
Pinarelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarelloman
I used a long bolt with a large washer and nut. Insert the bolt the plug tube until the washer slips through and comes in contact with the inner lip near the spark plug. You are then able to use a spanner or pliers on the bolt for some leverage to remove the tube.

My tubes had never been replaced and the transon plug did not work. I was also told to punch a hole through them with a screwdriver and pull them out, trouble is, if they don't then come out you cant drive the car.

I did not do the plugs, will leave that for another day.

Thanks, I have both the transom plug and the washer/nut tools, so hopefully one will work.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawheed
Transom plug works like a charm.. Insert, hand tight and then start twisting with pliers it'll pop the tube right out

Boy that was easy. The tube just popped out by hand with the transom plug.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #9

need your advice changing spark plugs rt now

I am working on my 1999 porsche boxster right now trying to change out spark plugs...Is it necessary to replace the spark plug tube seal? Or can it be replaced at a later time? When the coil was removed there was oil inside the tube, the coil had oil on it but none of the oil was inside the spark plug itself… does the tube have to be replaced right away?
wannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

@wannagofast - You can easily replace the spark plug tube (or seal) at a later time but don't let it go too long as the coil packs weren't designed to be continually soaked in oil, but don't freak about it, its been fine thus far and should be ok until you can get it fixed.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote