Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2005, 09:17 AM   #1

Cold starting problem

Please help I have a 2000 boxster with 60k miles. For the past week when I go to start my boxster. The engine feels like it is missing a cylindar, the car shakes and has a rough idle, for about 30 secs and the it levels out. The car is fine for the rest on the day, it starts just fine until I let it sit overnight and start it again the next day. It did this a few time this winter when it was really cold outside but this is happening on a 70 degree afternoon. Any thoughts? Oh I also replaced the sparkplugs about 3000 miles ago with original equipment.

boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:30 AM   #2

Quick guess. Replace air filter, fuel filter and use some Chevron FI cleaner.

Cheap try.

I assume you do not have a CEL on?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #3

No check engine lights. The car runs great. its just that first 30 secs of the day. I was wondering if there is something not working durring the cold start?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #4

Try what I suggested. Dirty gas will give you these symptoms sometimes.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Depending on how severe it is, it might just be that you're really in-tune with your car. Every car runs better after it's had a minute to warm up and circulate oil after not running for a while (overnight). This is something I've noticed in EVERY car I've owned, from 3 miles to 300k miles, just with varying degrees of difference.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #6

I'm right there with you. I have a 2000 with 52k miles on it and just recently every morning after I start it, for 30 seconds it just has a bit of a shimmy before it levels out. I was going to post the exact same thing my friend! Let me know if you figure it out.

Being a new Boxter owner myself, this may sound stupid, but is it easy to switch the air and fuel filter myself? I've yet to dive into the engine....
SoFlaBoxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:46 PM   #7

Talking

Easy is a relative term. For example, on a Lexus, I can change an air cleaner in 1 minute.

In a Boxster, it take me about 25 minutes although I AM getting faster.

Have not done a fuel filter yet.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 PM   #8

well I just filled up with a new tank of gas and the problem seems to have gone away. mabe bad gas? I don't know.... I know the computer checks all the fluid leves after a fill up mabe it reset one of the sensors or something. I let you know if it resurfaces. Thanks
Old 06-11-2005, 05:33 AM   #9

If your car has 60,000 miles the spark plugs probably need to be replaced or at least checked. One of the plugs could have a gap marginally too wide for a cold start.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:46 PM   #10

At 60K, just go ahead and change the plugs. They are the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs so they don't have to be gapped when you put them in, but like cyclocross said, the gap can change over a long period of time.

They're easy to get to, right behind the rear wheels.

Great to hear it seems to have gone away. If it comes back and you do all of the cheap fixes and still have the problem, you may want to check the coils. There's a separate coil on each plug so if one goes out the engine still starts but runs rough because it's missing a cylinder. Missing can be dangerous because the gas runs down the cats instead of burning in the cylinder. Probably not a problem with only 1 out, but more could be bad. I think they're about $55 each so you could get one and trade it out one every couple of days until it goes away. Just another cheap way to test before getting to the expensive sensors.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:03 PM   #11

Arrow carbon build-up

This is a typical carbon build-up problem. Buy some fuel cleaners (I used chevron) and even use higher than recommended concentration to clean it up.
insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:15 AM   #12

Talking Drive it like it's a Porsche.

If it's carbon build-up, you'll like the Techron insane recommends. After you clean it out with Techron, a good way to keep it clean is to drive it at higher RPMs. Driving at higher RPMs should only be done once the engine is completely warmed up. The high performance Porsche engines are mad to be driven harder so they build up the carbon if they are driven lightly. I run ours in the 4-5K RPM range all the way down the highway on the way in to work at least once a week when we carpool.

For support in this, I refer you to the article "Keep Her Above 4000" in the Panorama magazine, either the April or May issue.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:23 AM   #13

Chevron puts Techron in their gas. That is why I use it and recommend it.

I have never seen any credible evidence for the carbon build up/high RPM theory, except from guys who want to justify their speeding (including me).

I will read this article to see where this view comes from.

Thanks for info.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #14

Hi,i own a 2003 for almost 2 years now and put close to 14,000km's on it. 2.7 boxster 67,000km's on it now.Had sparkplug,oil change around 8K ago and only big repair was i needed new flywheel and clutch.Other then that the car has been running good.I added some gas cleaner to full tank and coulpe weeks ago thinking i'll just maybe give it a clean.This pass week i started to notice a cold rough start in the moring for about 4-6 secs.Its like it starving for gas a bit and doesnt give the Vvvrooom start seeing the rpm needle jump up and back down to idle.Its more like it just says at idle slurping for gas and sounding i guess like its misfiring rough engine like what other have said.Runs fine normal for the rest of the day. Does my MAF and throdle body need cleaning?Is it easy to clean the Maf.Do i need special tools?I would like to do small stuff before i call the big O porsche mech. Thanks
eomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #15

Is it true that we shouldn't let these cars warm up in idle? I read that you should only start it when you are ready to drive. I start it and back out immediately.... I did read that in the owner's manual. :dance:
myfirstporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
I have the same periodic rough idle at startup. Doesn't seem to be a real problem though my mechanic did mention a few services ago that one of my plug coils may be cracked. After reading this thread I think I'll get those and my plugs replaced this week.

Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote