Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #1

Some simple Q's from a newcomer

Just picked a '99, it's all new to me. Overall, it seems pretty damn good.

Engine performance is decidedly underwhelming. I think I hear an exhaust leak.
The computer is telling me I'm getting 16 MPG. At 60 in 5th.

Is there a well known exhaust leak problem spot or component?
I don't notice any smells indicating an extreme rich condition.
Can the computer need calibration?

So to state the obvious, the car needs a tune, and...what?

You tell me.

thanks

eltren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:31 AM   #2

Could be a number of things, cat, dirty or bad MAF, O2 sensor malfunction...

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:02 AM   #3

Reminds me of all those posts about the 928 having poor performance, but all those were poorly maintained and needed some tlc to get the performance back. Best bet would be to take it to a porsche tech and see. No lights lit on the dash?
stab1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #4

Well, let's see...

Lights? I get a spoiler light when I start it, otherwise, no. The car was sitting for months and months, so am running through the old gas in order to slam in a full tank of premium. The folks who had the car were charging it by idling. Can't be good.
Let's see if that fresh gas changes anything.

It's a Tip, and seems much happier driven in M and revved. Comments?

Look, the car's only rated for 200HP, how much zip does it really have without revving hard?

Whatsa MAF?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltren
Just picked a '99, it's all new to me. Overall, it seems pretty damn good.

Engine performance is decidedly underwhelming. I think I hear an exhaust leak.
The computer is telling me I'm getting 16 MPG. At 60 in 5th.

Is there a well known exhaust leak problem spot or component?
I don't notice any smells indicating an extreme rich condition.
Can the computer need calibration?

So to state the obvious, the car needs a tune, and...what?

You tell me.

thanks
It's a 12 year old sports car. Did you get a PPI done? Is it the base model, which by the way has always seemed a little underwhelming to me. What kind of service records did you get with your purschase? Remember you bought a car that when new cost $40 to $50,000. You cannot expect to pay $10,000 on a Porsche and not put any money into it. Now you can buy one that you may not have to spend as much money on as another but that is where research and patience comes in. I would say give it a tune up an extensive one and start doing your own research to find out as much as you can about your new machine. Good luck and have fun with it. Oh and congratulations on buying a 986.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltren
Lights? I get a spoiler light when I start it, otherwise, no. The car was sitting for months and months, so am running through the old gas in order to slam in a full tank of premium. The folks who had the car were charging it by idling. Can't be good.
Let's see if that fresh gas changes anything.

It's a Tip, and seems much happier driven in M and revved. Comments?

Look, the car's only rated for 200HP, how much zip does it really have without revving hard?

Whatsa MAF?
Well this awnsers alot of questions especially the part in bold. I think you need to give yourself some time driving the car. But first chang the oil and filter and look at your filter really good.Pull it apart and look for any kind of debris metal or plactic/rubber.

The MAF is the Mass Air Flow meter positioned in the intake just after the air filter.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #7

Thanks guys

We're all basically on the same page. Just calibratin'.

One lapse here is I had the oil changed the second I picked it up...and knew bupkus about
the IMwhatever. Therefore there was no inspection of the filter. Oops.

Everything you say is dead on. In fact my biggest issue right now apart from the apparent exhaust leak and the horn, is getting the roof compartment drained!

All probs should be so minor.

How hard/risky is it to pull the steering wheel airbag?
That seems the likeliest spot for a horn short. It goes off and stays on over bumps, when steering, if I sneeze....I pulled fuze B-3 meantime, but I hate not having something to razz the dip****************s with. Anyone else notice how aggressive Prius drivers have gotten?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #8

Mentioning the months-old gas might have been slightly relevant when making your first post about the poor performance and mileage.

Run a couple of tanks of premium through it. Add a can of Lubro-moly Jectron to the second tank. See what it runs like after using up the tank with the Jectron in it. Don't expect much power under 4K, but it should be flying by the time it hits 5K. It's not an "off the line" car, but if you want to pass some dick on the highway then just watch 'er go! Downshift to catch your power band.

Rev it hard - isn't that what you bought it for? If you do a little reading on this forum, you'll soon see that the engines that don't last are the ones that are driven too soft, but if you beat the living crap out of it then it will probably last forever. I try to always keep my rpm above 3K.

Good luck

Last edited by Mark_T; 10-28-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #9

Come again about draining the roof compartment? There should be round plastic tubes in the bottom of the foam trays to allow water to drain out to the street. If those are plugged and water overflows to the cabin, then the first thing to fry will be your $3000+ alarm module located under the drivers seat. Be careful. Check for damp carpet.

Just a couple of screws to pull the airbag - Make sure you disconnect the battery and let the car sit for half an hour or so before you start work. Unexpected airbag deployment can be startling. Look around for a DIY on changing the steering wheel to get step by step instructions complete with pics. You should get yourself a Bentley manual ASAP if you're planning on working on the car.

Last edited by Mark_T; 10-28-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #10

I like this guy already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Come again about draining the roof compartment? There should be round plastic tubes in the bottom of the foam trays to allow water to drain out to the street. If those are plugged and water overflows to the cabin, then the first thing to fry will be your $3000+ alarm module located under the drivers seat. Be careful. Check for damp carpet.
Go to nearby hardware store and buy some small dia. wire. Cut a piece about 6 foot long. Fold it in half put an flat blade screw driver in the folded end and the two lose ends in your drill. Then spin the wirewhile keeping it pulled tight. Pull out the screwdriver and squish the loop into an oval just over 1/8". Now you have your drain cleaning tool. Keep it handy and use it about once a year to clean your drain tubes. I check my tubes by filling them with water if the fill up than it is time to run the wire through. I do this with water in the tube until you see it flowing out the way it is supposed to. The drains I clean are for the sunroof on my beetle so I cant tell you where to look for water coming out but I would say close to the rockers under the car. Cost: under $5.00. Time: a few minutes. Savings: potentially thousands.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #11

Garage
don't take your steering wheel apart

The short in your horn is most likely at the horn itself. It's up under the front bumper skin and is pia to get to. Mine had the same problem and was replaced under wtty. It's a common problem. Do a search and you'll find a lot of threads on it. If I remember right, there's a bushing/rubber thing that the horn is mounted to. It gets loose, so that when you go over bumps it shorts out. I'd sure go this route before messing with your airbag. Also, you'll probably get an airbag light when you do that.

good luck
sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #12

GREAT TIPS, great response!

Thank you.

Though before I go poking anything long into drain conduits whose condition is unknown, I will either blow or vacuum 'em out. At first I couldn't find the hole, there was so much fine muck and crud, got it now, and got it dry. Just poked it with my eyeglass temple for now!

So you're saying the horn is just shorting on the frame? I should be able to find it and waggle it and reproduce the prob, or eliminate it as a candidate?

The moly, whazzit do? Lube the pump/injectors/valves/cyl, all, other?

And to answer earlier questions, no, there was no inspection. Whatsoever.
I'm a madman. I bought it sight unseen. From a police auction. Confiscated car.
I better stick a proctoscope down the filler and check for Peruvian marching powder.

I am the 7th owner. Dr. Porsche help me. If the exhaust leak is no biggie, and it doesn't blow up, I got a bargain. Ran Carfax, FWIW, green all the way.

When the local independent Porsche guy is done with his 911 rebuild, he's going to go over the car from stem to stern and tune it. I'll have him drain all fluids other than the fresh oil. I really need a garage so I can do more of this on my own.

Amazon says Bentley on its way. As is a left side wind deflector and a lighter from a junkyard.

Like I said, the only idiot light is the spoiler at startup. Yesterday the spoiler deployed
at low speeds and did not stow properly. Today it failed to deploy at all at high speeds. Suggestions?

Oh and I have one count em one key. Am looking at what, 5-6 bills here for one smart and one dumb keys, right, or is there a better way?
I've been reading the archive, and it does not look good.

Today's lesson learned? It understeers! Grab a lot of wheel without throttle, and it pushes. Which makes perfect sense to me, and just needs a little go-stick to balance.

While draining the roof compartment I discovered that the rear of the top has come unglued at least once and been glued back, sloppily. What is the correct adhesive to use here, and any tips, tricks or cautions?

I'm stoked! I own a hundred-horse italian bike and this is every bit as thrilling, and I don't feel like I'm putting life and limb at risk very time I fire it up.

Cheers!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #13

Lubro-Moly Jectron is a fuel injector cleaner that you put in your gas tank. It's one of the few that actually work. Based on your car's history, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it made a big difference. Either way, it's not expensive and it can't hurt.

I only have one key. I'm very careful not to misplace it. Don't want to lay out hundreds for a spare.

About the understeer- check your tire pressure. 29 in front, 36 in back is the recommendation. I run 31/35 and it seems to work ok.

I used contact cement to attach the canvas when I replaced my top. A good outdoor two-sided adhesive may work too. Can be tricky getting the tension right. Wouldn't hurt to read the relevant sections from Mike Focke's top replacement DIY. You'll be hard pressed to find one better.

You're in for it now, pal. You'll be building a garage and buying a lift before you know it.