Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #1

8.5 wheels up front

PCA Club racing allows 8.5 wheels all around with a spacer for the front wheels. I tried my 8.5 wheels up front and they bolt right on with out any clearance problems sitting on the jackstands. Has anyone run this setup and if so what type of spacer did you use. My offset on the 8.5 wheel is 50 which is the standard rear wheel for the Boxster. They are 17 inch wheels, The Classic 1. Thank you, BH

wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #2

I just asked this question elsewhere on the forum. Definitely interested in the answer, as I'd like to run a set of classics (or similar) in 17x8.5 in a square setup for year round driving.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #3

My 18s are 8.5 up front and so are my 19s. I have no issues. No spacers either.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I have 18X8.5 up front with 50mm offsets. No rubbing issues at all...
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #5

Garage
The only time that you might run into clearance problems is if you switch to adjustable coilovers. In the past, I had some clearance problems with a set of 8.5 +50 wheels that I used in conjunction with a PSS9 set-up. Essentially, the wheel would not clear the adjustment ring on the perch unless I used spacers. Not that using spacers was a concern, however, there are some enthusiasts who prefer not using them . Had that been the case, because of the offset, a wheel of that dimension would not have fit.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtee
PCA Club racing allows 8.5 wheels all around with a spacer for the front wheels. I tried my 8.5 wheels up front and they bolt right on with out any clearance problems sitting on the jackstands. Has anyone run this setup and if so what type of spacer did you use. My offset on the 8.5 wheel is 50 which is the standard rear wheel for the Boxster. They are 17 inch wheels, The Classic 1. Thank you, BH
A Boxster Spec race car is lowered with PSS9s, 255/40/17s and -3 degrees front camber. With this setup you need a small 7mm spacer to prevent inside tire rub. At stock ride height and stock 17x 8.5 wheels w/ 255 tires there are no rubbing issues.

I often run track tires with 17x8.5 and 255 tires with stock suspension. This setup does improve overall grip and yields shorter braking distances but sacrifices some acceleration and top speed. I actually think a 225/255 stagger is slightly faster but running square allows you to rotate tires to all four corners for maximum tread life. Tires are always a tradeoff.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #7

I just did the conversion to 8.5s at the front. Using stock rear boxster rims upfront in conjunction to PSS9s I had to use 5mm spacers to clear the PSS9s.
Took it to the track on sunday and no clearance issues.