Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #1

Sway bar changes

I would like to make a few performance changes for the DE's that I do. I am going to purchase R tires and I already have upgraded to 17x7 & 8.5 wheels. Would it be an improvement changing the sway bars without stiffening the suspension, or do these 2 changes have to be made together. I don't think I can afford competition coilovers at this time. BH

wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #2

I no longer track my vehicle but I did install the 24mm front and 19.5mm rear, bought from the Sunset guys in Seattle, and I can say the car corners flatter than before and I have had no compromise in ride comfort. I am sure the guys still active in tracking their cars will have more accurate things to tell you.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #3

You don't necessarily need to do both at the same time. Changing your sway bars to stiffer ones will definitely be a nice improvement.

I've got a couple M030 sway bars if you're interested.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

I take my 2000 S model to the track on a regular basis. I started my upgrades by adding the M030 sway bars in the sizes that chaudanova is selling. Notice that the rear is larger on the non-S model. It helped remove some of the understeer that Porsche builds into the cars.

The car performed really well with just this upgrade.
About a year later I added the rest of the M030 suspension. With good tires and proper alignment, this is a really nice setup for the street and track.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
I am still mixed on this one. I run DOT-R tires during time trials and pay a lot of attention to lap times. I cannot say that stiffer sways make the car faster. My brother's car is identical except he has stock sways and I am just as fast in his car. GT3 sways do reduce some body roll and allow for adjustability for different tracks. I think if we were running softer tire compounds and grip levels were higher there would be more induced body roll and a need for stiffer sways. I am not ready to blow $1500/weekend on tires yet though so I will stay with the DOT-R compounds for a while.

My suggestion: Run stock for your first year. When you need stiffer sways, you will know for sure. If you are running DEs, just focus on driving the car and developing your skills. Lap times simply don't matter in a DE. I know, I know, everyone wants to be out front though.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #6

I think Topless gives good advice.

That said, I have been slowly upgrading the car towards spec and started with the GT3 sway bar upfront and Tarrett rear + Tarrett drop links all around and saw a huge improvement over how tight the car felt. At 120K miles the suspension was shot and that helped improve things until I was ready for the PSS9s.