Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #1

AC doesn't..

2005 Boxster S Premium package.
The AC stopped working this morning. It was working fine two days ago so It's been used recently. I've checked Fuse D, F5 25A as per the diagram on the inside of the cover as well as the "climatron" fuse as well. Everything works and displays normally and I even cycled the "ECO" button. It just doesn't blow cold anymore. I can even hear the external fans running. Are there any other fuses to check or quick checks to do before I roll into the repair shop with an open wallet? Thanks.

Tall Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #2

do you have a/c gauges ?
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #3

A/C guages? AC powered guages, testing equipment? What do you mean by guages?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #4

if the fans are blowing air, then it is compressor and or the evaporator. If it is the evaporator, then usally when you first start the car after it rests, you will hear the compressor clicking on and off ( with the access door or the top cover off).

The evaporator does not usally go bad, it is almost always the compressor.

The easy way to tell is to go to auto store and buy the tool with the gauges and a can of coolent.R134

find the low pressure port and put a can or two in, also the gagues should read low if there is a leak.

if the compressor clicks on and cool air blows, you know it is the compressor via the low gas pressure that is the cause. now more important is why you have a leak. finding a leak is not easy.

if the pressure gague reads full and the car does not need coolent, then the compressor is bad.

your car is newer so I would check the electrical part of the system first, make sure a relay or fuse is not blown, then I would check to see if there is coolent pressure.

here is a website i found for you to read. then idea is the same for any car.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/regularmaintenance/ss/AC-recharge.htm
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #5

there are other options besides the evap or compressor.

there are mix flaps controlled by the climatronic. if the flaps aren't routing the air over the evap coil, the air won't be cold. this is actually kind of common on the box. it can be the climatronic unit itself, or a bad servo motor on one of the flaps.

i believe the dealer has a climatronic diagnostic they can use to pinpoint this issue fairly quickly.

if you DO need a compressor, PM me.....i have an extra.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #6

I checked most of the fuses that I believed could be a factor to include the one that had a laundry list of equipment to include "air conditioning relay" as well as the "heater, defrost, ect, climatronic" one so I don't think it's a fuse. Well, I checked them visually... I wasn't able to find any others listed that would seem to be related. I couldn't find any reference to relays in the manual, so I didn't know where to start looking. Something tells me it might be a relay or the climatronic. It blew ice cold on Saturday and I couldn't go colder than 72 degrees without getting uncomfortably cool. It has been extremely humid and hot down here in Middle Georgia with heat indicies above 100 so it may be the evaporator as well. I had similar results in my M3 when my evaporator failed in it years ago in South Texas.
I just went ahead and dropped it off today to have it checked out. We'll see tomorrow. BTW the compressor is covered under the extended warranty but thanks for the offer.
The link was great. I'll use it to recharge my truck which is starting to lose its cool!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:38 AM   #7

The local shop couldn't do anything so I took the road trip to North Atlanta and had the dealer take a look at it. Tons of fault codes once they jacked into the climatronic. Turned out to be a loose/dirty connector. They cleaned it up, reconnected it and all is fine. Cheers!