Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #1

Powerchip

I have looked through the archives and not found where anyone has installed a Powerchip. If anyone has information on this product, I would really appreciate hearing their opinion.

A local performance shop represents Powerchip, and says it really will increase HP and torque by about 10%. They have offered to dyno the car before and after for $150 in order to prove it to me. (At a nearby shop, not their own) If it does not perform as advertised, they will replace the original program and refund the $900 programming and installation fee. (I would still be out the $150 for the dyno)

Any thoughts?
Recommendations?

This is for a 2003 Boxster S

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:37 PM   #2

Will they also guarantee it will pass emissions?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #3

As far out as it sounds it must work. Otherwise they would loose a huge deal of money for the lost labor charges. 10% is what? About 25HP!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 04:20 AM   #4

What brand is this? I've been looking for an ECU upgrade that will be effective but noone seems to guarantee their claims.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:17 AM   #5

"Powerchip" is the brand name.

They claim it to emissions compliant everywhere except California.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:37 AM   #6

Massachusetts and CA have the same emissions standards. I think that is an issue if you live in either state then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
"Powerchip" is the brand name.

They claim it to emissions compliant everywhere except California.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #7

+25 hp with just the chip seems to good to be true. Make sure you get the gurantee in writing.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #8

Don't know squat about these chips, but:
"About 10%" could mean practically anything. Do they pay off if it is 4.9%, but not if it is 5.1%?
If you gain 6% at 6500, but lose 8% at 3500 is that OK with you?
From what I have seen reading about chip replacements on this forum, that seems to be what you are frequently faced with.
Also, my suggestion would be that you pick the dyno shop, not them.
You might want to specificy that after the installation of the chip that the onboard diagnostic must not set any error codes.
Ditto on the emission testing and all of it in writing, as suggested.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #9

HP race

What I have read all over plus asking garages the maping with chip mod is not that great. You have to add cat modifications besides so for 2500 to 3500 you will realize gains of maybe 20 hp at best. There is a penalty in the lower rpm's. After all is said and done the only way to go is to supercharge the engine which will run over $ 5,000 US. The increase will be of 30% which is about 60 hp in a 2003 S which is what I have. I believe you also have to change the cats to accomodate the modifications. That is the only way I see doing anything. The engine swap is more expensive. In short I think we should be happy with the engine and the dynamics of the car we own. The hp race is extremely expensive for this car.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:22 AM   #10

I bumped into a fellow at our local dealer who has a Supercharged 97 Box. I asked him to join us and post about his car.

I hope that he does!

Old 04-07-2005, 06:25 AM   #11

I don't know if this is true or not Pilot, but on another board someone said they talked to TPC and they have discontinued the supercharger for the 3.2L engine because owners were only seeing gains of around 20hp. The logic behind this is the blower(with an output of 4.5 PSI) isn't moving enough air to substantially increase the output compared to natural aspiration. Since the smaller 2.7's and 2.5's gulp in less air through the intake, they gain more from the upgrade. Since you can increase boost to 7 PSI by changing pulleys, I'm not sure if I'm buying what this guy was saying. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:05 AM   #12

A shop near me does the GIAC upgrade for around $1000. They say it is around a 12WHP and 10 ft/lb torque increase on a 2.7 Box. If it is throughout the powerband, this seems like a decent upgrade for a little more power.
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:21 AM   #13

You also have to keep in mind even if the power is alittle worse than stock down low that is not the worst thing in the world. When you want maximum accleration you should keep the revs above 5k rpm anyway.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
A shop near me does the GIAC upgrade for around $1000. They say it is around a 12WHP and 10 ft/lb torque increase on a 2.7 Box. If it is throughout the powerband, this seems like a decent upgrade for a little more power.
My DME is on the way back from Evolution Motorsports with a new GIAC stage 3 program (headers, muffler, intake). They took bloody 1 week to get my DME turned around as they claimed my DME is different from those in the US. I do not doubt them but the person liaising with me provided very poor service.

Anyway, the GIAC upgrade is $795 because they only need to flash the DME without any need for a chip replacement.

As usual, I'll be posting a dyno report once I get the DME installed. I'm keeing my fingers crossed on this one. Hope my engine doesn't blow up or anything like that when I first drive my car. I'm kinda worried that my DME is different from those in the US and Evo gotta do 'something' to get the program into it...
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #15

^ Sounds good man, I've been waiting for your results. I'll keep an eye out for a post from you once you're finished.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #16

I am the Superchips agent for Ireland and have just installed their new release for the Boxsters(both 2.7 and 3.2L) on my own 3.2 2002. I dynoed the car before and after and got increases of 13 Bhp and about 10% more torque. It seems to have also improved throttle response in the low range(1500 to 3500rpm). The upgrade is carried out through the OBD port using a new interface they are about to release to the rest of their dealer network. the cost should be about €450.
cmanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanders
I am the Superchips agent for Ireland and have just installed their new release for the Boxsters(both 2.7 and 3.2L) on my own 3.2 2002. I dynoed the car before and after and got increases of 13 Bhp and about 10% more torque. It seems to have also improved throttle response in the low range(1500 to 3500rpm). The upgrade is carried out through the OBD port using a new interface they are about to release to the rest of their dealer network. the cost should be about €450.
Did you have any mods on your car? You must have read about my disappointing results with the GIAC program. Do you offer a money back if I don't get the power increase? I will be doing a dyno after the program to verify the claims.

Alternatively, do you do custom program on a dyno?
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:30 AM   #18

In reply to your question the only other mods i have are the porsche sports exhaust system and K&N panel filter. Superchips do offer a 7 day money back guarantee.
cmanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:31 PM   #19

Thumbs down Don't Add That Modual!

It's not worth the money you have to spend. $1000 plus. You are lucky to get what is advertised unless you have a pro install the chip. Is $1000 plus, worth it to you to gain 2 to 15 HP?
daveclause@sbcglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:24 PM   #20

Is it even worth the time to ask if anyone has tried this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7969887095&category=33597

I'm sure it is crap

custom-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote