Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:54 AM   #1

A few Boxster technical questions??

A few Boxster technical questions??

1.)Is there a single point to jack up the whole rear of the car? (IE Brace, Tranny or uni-body) Pictures would help greatly
2.)How do you do a coolant flush and anyone every have coolant line failure? (IE rubber hoses or water pumps)
3.)Can you Change the serpentine belt with out taking down the motor or tilting it? (if so how)
4.)Does anyone know the list of specialty tools need to rebuild a Boxster Motor?
5.)And last but not least does any company offer an End Usable Tuning device that piggy backs to the stock ECU or have software interface that can alter the factory ignition and fuel maps?

I just got a 2000 Boxster S with 18K miles on it. I would like to swap to a Carrera S 3.8 2005 motor in the near future. I will document everything but the biggest issues I for see are EM and electrical at this point. Can I use a 911 wiring harness and ECU?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Also I always do my own work on my cars I will be posting detailed How to and share with fellow Boxster owners.

Last edited by EFI tuning; 03-23-2005 at 05:57 AM.
EFI tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:14 AM   #2

Yes, I had a water pump failure. 2000 Boxster with 33K miles. Seems to be a Boxster weak point.

Serpentine belt replacement is very easy, as is the H2O pump replacement. Make a diagram of the routing, put a wrench on the idler, and slip it off. Reverse procedure to install.

Flushing should be easy, too, though my coolant emptied itself when the pump blew itself apart. Don't know where the drain is, but find it and drain. Fill the system as much as you can, and then fill the reservoir only half way in the rear trunk. A full reservoir will overflow when the air bubbles work their way out. I had to run it a bit, make sure you get temp reading, and don't let it overheat. Let it cool and suck in some coolant. When fully cool again, top off and repeat. Should take 2.5 gallons, I seem to recall.

Maybe not "Porsche preferred" method, but it worked for me. Make sure you keep the coolant and spills away from animals, as they might lick up the sweet poison. Dispose of at a parts shop, and not down a drain.

Last edited by wingboat; 03-23-2005 at 09:17 AM.
wingboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboat
Yes, I had a water pump failure. 2000 Boxster with 33K miles. Seems to be a Boxster weak point.

Serpentine belt replacement is very easy, as is the H2O pump replacement. Make a diagram of the routing, put a wrench on the idler, and slip it off. Reverse procedure to install.

Flushing should be easy, too, though my coolant emptied itself when the pump blew itself apart. Don't know where the drain is, but find it and drain. Fill the system as much as you can, and then fill the reservoir only half way in the rear trunk. A full reservoir will overflow when the air bubbles work their way out. I had to run it a bit, make sure you get temp reading, and don't let it overheat. Let it cool and suck in some coolant. When fully cool again, top off and repeat. Should take 2.5 gallons, I seem to recall.

Maybe not "Porsche preferred" method, but it worked for me. Make sure you keep the coolant and spills away from animals, as they might lick up the sweet poison. Dispose of at a parts shop, and not down a drain.
Thank you very much for your detailed post. I found another site and it looks like you can get to the belt from behind the seats and carpet. This weekend I'm doing a oil change, Tranny oil change, Coolent flush, plugs and new filters.

What brake pads are you guys using? Also anything negative about Zimmerman Rotors??

Thanks
Old 03-24-2005, 06:11 AM   #4

Talking

"Yes, I had a water pump failure. 2000 Boxster with 33K miles. Seems to be a Boxster weak point."

Interesting. I have bought and sold about 20 Boxsters and have never seen a water pump failure in all of the service histories.

Now, about rear main seals .........

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:06 AM   #5

This company sells Piggybacks and OBII remapping for the boxster. As far as brake pads are concerned, I've heard Pagid are among the best.

http://www.fabspeed.com/
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
This company sells Piggybacks and OBII remapping for the boxster. As far as brake pads are concerned, I've heard Pagid are among the best.

http://www.fabspeed.com/

Thanks Fabspeed looks like a neat shop. I really liked there muffler cut out pictures.