Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
Sorry to guess Landrovered. Here's some specifics for you.

The LS1 block is part number 12561166.

The LS7 block is part number 17802854.

They might both be small blocks (though I'm not sure what the definition of small block is versus big block with current motors), but they are definitely NOT the same block.

Wouldn't you expect a block with a different bore to have a different part number?

All the LS engines are in the same family. They all share common components whether LS1 or LS9. They have evolved but are essntially the same design. Do you really want to go to the carpet on this one?

Much like the Gen I and II small-blocks, almost all the hardware amongst the different LS variants are interchangeable. In fact, except for the smallest (4.8L) and largest (7.0L) motors in the LS lineup, all share the same 3.622-inch stroke. In most instances, the cylinder heads, camshafts, crankshafts, and intake manifolds can all be mixed between different LS motors.

LS Engines decoded...The Ultimate Guide To Every Gen III And IV Small-Block Ever Built

landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #22

Actually, 50/50 is not the "ideal" weight distribution, if there is such a thing. WD is a compromise, like everything in automotive design. But for a "sports car", you should have a 55-60% rear weight bias. Manufacturers who quote the "perfect 50/50 weight distribution" do so because that's the best they could do!
Steve
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #23

Garage
interesting... never heard that about weight distribution. well either way. It wouldnt be hard to maintain or get whatever WD you want.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #24

It's much harder to change than you might think. Which is why no production car that I'm aware of has more than 50% on the rear axle unless it has a mid- or rear- mounted engine. The rearward bias gives more traction for acceleration.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
It's much harder to change than you might think. Which is why no production car that I'm aware of has more than 50% on the rear axle unless it has a mid- or rear- mounted engine. The rearward bias gives more traction for acceleration.

the boxster is. So what im saying is if the extra weight of the LS throws off the the WD. it will not be hard to compensate.

but im pretty sure its more than just traction for acceleration. WD is more about the fundamentals of handling.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #26

Yes, a heavier engine would give more rear weight. Whether that is a problem or not depends on how far back that weight is centered, and by the magnitude of the change. It would be very hard to change, the engine/transmission position is fixed, so what do you move forward to add weight there? Lead bars would add weight to the front, but obviously not be beneficial to overall performance!

I was simplifying on the effects of WD on handling, stating the most important reason, polar moment of inertia is another important benefit af a mid-engine installation. They write whole books on the subject, too much to get into here!

steve
Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #27

Garage
well if its a mere 20 or so lbs some lightweight body panels and what not. and you might be able to kill two birds with one stone and go for some lightweight engine components shed some weight and increase RPMS and posibly even flywheel or what have you.

so if the difference is small enough it can be dealt with if it not i can be compensated. and who knows with more power maybe some rear weight wouldnt be bad atl all
Old 01-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Do you really want to go to the carpet on this one?
Nope. But mostly because I really don't care that much.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #29

Garage
why cant we be friends!

haha

but I think we can all agree that an LS1 would be a blast in a box
Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #30

Garage

hmmm very nice.

the specs from turn key
Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #31

An LS1 in a Boxster with a Procharger would be even MORE fun!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #32

Funny sideline about the GM LS series...

Turns out it seems that GM ripped off Ford's FE series motor design. A SBF distributor drops right in when an LS is setup without electronic ignition. The head bolt pattern is a mirror image of Ford's, so much that an aftermarket GM block manufacturer made his block so that either Ford or GM heads would bolt up, and you can even run GM on one side and Ford on the other to line the ports up. The deck height is the same as an FE at 9.2 inches.

I know it's not Porsche, but still interesting if you're into cars.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #33

Garage
it may not be porsche but we are talking GM motors in a porsche and that is some interesting stuff right there. now the FE series that wouldnt have anything to do with the element letters for Iron would it?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
An LS1 in a Boxster with a Procharger would be even MORE fun!

it would. but if this build does come reality i would want as much N/A power as possible. I can picture my wife driving it and some motorhead being like nice boxster. and she would be like ya it is fast it has a V8... and the guy thinking he knows everything and that my wife doesnt know anything about cars would think she is crazy... lol

but it would be funny to see (if you removed the canvas top and did some modifications) put a blower on there and figure out some way for alot of air to reach it (because of the windshied)

haha it would be rediculous having a blower right behind your head sticking out a foot from the boxster. lol
Old 01-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #35

There was a guy that used to run around Carlsbad in a Red Acura NSX. He had a blower on the motor and the motor was exposed just behind his head. It looked really cool but man, that must have been annoying.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #36

Garage
lol i know right. It would be approaching hotrod status at that point... ive never heard of a Boxster hot rod but hey being unique is far from a bad thing.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
it may not be porsche but we are talking GM motors in a porsche and that is some interesting stuff right there. now the FE series that wouldnt have anything to do with the element letters for Iron would it?
I had to go look that up... it's actually short for "Ford - Edsel" according to the sources I found. The FE series included goodies like the 390, 427 side-oiler and cammer, and the 428 Super Cobra Jet engines. All from back in the day when tire-shredding torque was king.

A Porsche boxer motor at full tilt makes some sweet sounds. A well-built M-code 351 Cleveland @ 7500 rpm doesn't sound bad either! Can you say "Pantera"?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #38

Garage
nope i have no problem with the boxer motor we got. BUT i have a soft spot for the sound of american V8s. I wonder how some of these motors would sound with a higher RPM range.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
nope i have no problem with the boxer motor we got. BUT i have a soft spot for the sound of american V8s. I wonder how some of these motors would sound with a higher RPM range.
Well, this is about as far away as you can get from a sports car, but this is a strong American V8, a Ford 351 Cleveland, and my ears tell me that's at least 7000 rpm or more. You can go to your local drag strip to hear them at 8-9k. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J20IZOSqcHA

Last edited by JackG; 01-09-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #40

Garage
that does sound really good.

one of my favorite sounds is the vettes and vipers at LeMans