Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 06:11 AM   #1

Question Suitable OBD2 Scanner

Hi All,
I am writing from Scotland where my 2003 3.2S has just illuminated the CEL for the first time. Don't suspect anything too serious. Probably a misfire / coilpack etc, but obviously need to download the codes for remedial attention.

Reading various other threads the favoured scanner in U.S. appears to be Actron 9180. This is not readily available in the U.K. and looks infinitely superior to other cheaper alternatives available through Ebay UK etc. Any comments or recommendations before I source from U.S. at approx $130 + $ 45 shipping.

Thanks for your help. Stuart.

sab69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab69
Hi All,
I am writing from Scotland where my 2003 3.2S has just illuminated the CEL for the first time. Don't suspect anything too serious. Probably a misfire / coilpack etc, but obviously need to download the codes for remedial attention.

Reading various other threads the favoured scanner in U.S. appears to be Actron 9180. This is not readily available in the U.K. and looks infinitely superior to other cheaper alternatives available through Ebay UK etc. Any comments or recommendations before I source from U.S. at approx $130 + $ 45 shipping.

Thanks for your help. Stuart.
Actron is a quality product and well supported. Their later models even have "web upgrade" capabilities, which is a nice feature. That said, you need to recognize that all cars, including Porsche, have multiple “protected code” areas in the DME which any aftermarket scanner, including the Actron, can see, but cannot clear. These include areas such at the airbags, ABS/PSM, etc. For those you need either the factory PIWIS or the Durametric system. The Durametric system is Porsche specific (does not work on other car brands), and is limited to three different cars unless you go for the “pro” system, which is much more expensive.

For general use, the Actron is probably the better value because of its universal applications.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #3

I just received my Durametric scanner last week - shipped from the US to Australia in less than a week.
Works really well & service was excellent from Durametric when inquiring about their product.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #4

The best OBD2 scanner I used so far was one I borrowed from a co-worker. Saved myself $80. I think I bought him a beer.

Ask around before spending the money.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #5

While I agree with Vath that free is a great price, having one of your own in the garage can be priceless when the light pops on at 11:30PM... especially if you have insomnia like mine that's just itching for any reason to keep you awake.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
While I agree with Vath that free is a great price, having one of your own in the garage can be priceless when the light pops on at 11:30PM... especially if you have insomnia like mine that's just itching for any reason to keep you awake.
Agreed. I use AutoTap, which has data logging capability in addition to OBDII code scanning and DTC-clearing features. Unfortunately, there are quite a few valuable parameters that AutoTap won't record on my Boxster in data-logging mode, but it's better than nothing, and it works fine for reading and clearing codes. Just used it last night, in fact.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #7

The durametric and others mentioned are fine scanners, but will put you back a few £££.

If you just want a simple scanner to retrieve codes and reset most (but not all), then I suggest the Actron 9125. Here is the euro version of it - Code Scanner It's cheap and compact - small enough to keep in the car w/o being a nuisance.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
+1 on the Actron 9125. It won't tie your shoes in the morning but it is a good bang for the buck/pound/sterling/euro.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #9

Garage
actron 9125 capability

so will this handy little tool deal with service reminder reset? as well as coade clearing on the boxster?

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by litteng
so will this handy little tool deal with service reminder reset? as well as coade clearing on the boxster?
No, only the Durametric or PIWIS will do that................
Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
No, only the Durametric or PIWIS will do that................
I have found the Actron will reset many of the codes, but no airbag codes.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I have found the Actron will reset many of the codes, but no airbag codes.

Cheers!
Actron is good for a lot of codes, but not the airbags, PSM, PASM, ABS, or the resetting of the service notification; those require either the Durametric (will do most of the ones Actron can't) and the PIWIS, which can do anything.........
Old 02-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #13

actron has worked well for me so far.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #14

Thank you all for this information!! Very helpful.

chicster is offline   Reply With Quote