Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #1

Need Help Car won't go over 1500 rpms

I have a 2000 boxster s and had the same ingition switch problems that a lot of other people had. I followed the instructions that were on here and changed the ignition switch. I can get my car to start but it will only idle at 1000 rpms and if I floor it the most it would get to is 1500 rpms. I had no issues besides the ignition switch when I made the change. I have checked every fuse, all fine. I have removed the ignition switch multiple times and tried again, but nothing. I even put back in the old switch and it does the same thing. I feel like I must have hit a wire somewhere that relates to this, but I don't know what one. Can anyone help.
Thanks
Tim

trooney27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Simply start by retracing your steps. What have you changed since it ran properly? What could have gotten fouled up in the process? Probably a fairly short list of possibilities.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Simply start by retracing your steps. What have you changed since it ran properly? What could have gotten fouled up in the process? Probably a fairly short list of possibilities.
+1 for retracing your steps, also make sure you got the ignition seated fully. My first try I wasn't in all the way and had to slightly move it clockwise until it fully fit in. As for the the 1500 rpm, you got me. You might unhook the battery for an hour and see if its something computerized and resets itself. Other than that Hopefully somebody more experienced chimes in.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I have tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours a couple times and that didn't work. I have also tried retracing my steps numerous times including completely replacing the switch with the old one and then putting the new one back in a few times. When I first replaced the switch, I also had the issue with the half moon not lining up correctly but that made it so the car wouldn't start. The car will start now (with some smoke coming out of the back) but the car will just idle.
I just moved to Georgia, so I don't even have a mechanic that I know of that is reliable in the area, and I would prefer not to have to get the car towed somewhere.
trooney27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #5

Isn't Jake Raby in that area? Might be a tad bit more than a local hack shop, but you know you will get it done right and he will stand behind it.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #6

Yup, Flat6 is in Cleveland, GA. If that's near you, click the Flat6 banner up there ^^^!