Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #1

Air Intake Temperatures

Hi gang,

I have a 00' Boxster with 147,000 klicks on it and I've been randomly checking the OBD data. A few days ago, I was surprised to see the intake air temperature showing 126 F (52 C) on a day that was only 74 F (23 C).

This Boxster runs hot as well. In traffic, I have to have the AC on to keep the temperature reasonable - especially if I've been having fun and running the revs up before encountering the slow traffic.

So what's your thoughts? Weird?

I'm embarassed to say that I merely think (don't know) that the intake is stock.

Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #2

If I had to guess, I'd say your MAF is on the way out. The intake temp sensor is integral to the MAF.

As far as running hot, there has been much discussion about this. Before deciding you need a fix, first be sure that the rads are clean - they are notorious for picking up all sort of debris from leaves to candy wrappers, cig butts and even birds.

Also be sure both your fans are operating. If not, check connections, fuses, relays and finally the series resistor in the fan wiring harness - this is replaceable as a splice-in part.

If all this checks out, consider a coolant change and be sure it's properly bled. Also consider the low-temp t-stat. Use the search function to see all the discussion surrounding this.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #3

Thanks, I was up to date on the rad-side discussions. My coolant and t-stat were replaced when my water pump gave up in July. Didn't have the 160 at hand when it happened though. I do need to get in there and clean out the crud still.

If it is the MAF, the good news for me will be that it was just replaced a few months back, and the shop will replace it under part warranty.

I thought maybe heat from the engine compartment was getting into the intake.

Gent is offline   Reply With Quote