Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #1

Annual Service Day

I decided that today would be the day to change the oil, filter, air filter, pollen filter, and swap out the front drop links for the replacement ones I received for free.

I went with Royal Purple 0-W40. We'll see how well it does compared to M1. I don't go in for all the oil analysis, but I do keep an eye on performance, how the motor runs and sounds, etc. I will say that this stuff wasn't cheap! $10.25 a quart.

They're proud of their oil.

BTW, no metal shavings or chunks of metal in the oil filter.

Working on our cars isn't hard at all. Basic maintenance is a breeze if one has a floor jack and a couple of jack stands.

I think I saved around $200 today by doing this work myself, and I have the sore muscles to prove it. Sheesh I'm getting old.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
2001 RUF 3800S

I have an appointment tomorrow at my Porsche mechanic shop for "sluggish" acceleration experiences. I was going to tell him to go ahead with an oil change, service but you just inspired me to do it myself! Also I’ll be doing brakes/rotors, spark plugs and throttle body cleaning myself. That should save me at least a few hundred dollars just in labour it pays not to be lazy! The only thing Ill tell him to check is my motor mounts.

Last edited by violametallic-S-; 09-13-2009 at 08:39 PM.
violametallic-S- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:31 AM   #3

sluggish performance sounds like a fuel filter or a fuel pump. I do hope it's the first and not the latter, which always goes out when the fuel filter is clogged.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
2001 RUF 3800S

It only has 40k and I only run 94 Octane, it couldnt be the fuel filter so soon can it? I recently installed Maxspeed headers 2 months ago and no Im experiencing this sluggish issue and more noises from the exhaust system. If I have a gasket leak in the exhaust setup will it trigger a CEL?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #5

One bad tank of fuel and your fuel filter can become clogged and give you sluggish performance.

Fuel pumps have been known to go out at 40k or even earlier.

Your MAF or 02 sensors might be crapping out on you and not yet throwing a CE

A leak in your exhaust system usually doesn't affect performance unless its quite large and doesn't give the motor enough back-pressure.

Most aftermarket mods always make for a loud Boxster. Lord knows I've got a loud car.

The possibilities are numerous as to why your car is sluggish. Diagnosing it over the internet is probably futile. You're doing the right thing though getting it to a mechanic who can hook it up to a PST2 tool and diagnose the problem properly.

Do come back to this thread to report what he says though. I'm interested to learn what the true culprit might be.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
2001 RUF 3800S

Well It was almost a useless appointment. Main reason I brought it in was to do a general inspection to check ball joints, brakes, etc.. Also to test my clutch because I think its starting to go, which he confirmed it and he said thats the reason for the sounds and feels I get from the transmission, not the motor mounts. So now I get to buy a stage 2 sprung clutch with a LWFL

He took it for a test drive and the sluggish experience I sometimes get didnt happen for him. Thats usually the case.

So Ill just go ahead with a tune up, plugs, oil, throttle body cleaning, and I think Ill go ahead and change the fuel filter. So we see how it performs after this. What else should I clean?

Also I have a new MAF and 4 brand new OEM bosch o2 sensors, so that cant be the case.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #7

What's a LWFL?

Hey, who knows, it might drive like a brand new Porsche without sluggishness when you get it back from him.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
2001 RUF 3800S

I meant LWFW ,Light Weight Fly Wheel. I got it back i was there for 30min. So nothing was changed ofcourse.

Last edited by violametallic-S-; 09-14-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #9

I would not have guessed Light Weight Fly Wheel if you had abbreviated it right.

Is there not some new issues one faces when putting in a LWFW? I can't remember specifics but something is stuck in the back of my mind... something about it being harder to shift or use the clutch pedal, faster clutch wear, etc.?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
2001 RUF 3800S

Im not really sure about that, but from my research If you do not have a sprung clutch kit and use a regular clutch then you will have a harsh feel in the transmission because its not balanced like the OEM and vibrates alot which I guess could result to quicker wear. And the spring in the clutch absorbs all the vibrations from the LWFW. Im pretty sure thats how it works, dont mark my words though

side note: for my transmission issue im going to try Royal Purple Transmisson Oil, see if that helps a little bit for now.

Last edited by violametallic-S-; 09-14-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #11

Garage
blown engine

i recall a posting by Jake Raby about a car that ended at his shop , the owner had switched to a light weight flywheel and under (hard?) use blew the motor... something to do with the flywheel not being balance with the crank etc., the dual mass flywheel helps to absorb vibration from the engine , without it the engine went adios.

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #12

harmonic balancing and absorbtion of driveline shock are functions performed by the stock DMFW in the M96. One would have to compensate for these in any change according to Charles N and Jake R.

i had wanted a LWFW (only) to guard against crank shaft run out but this apparently would make things worse for the reasons above
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by violametallic-S-
What else should I clean?
Intake air filter changed recently?
Injectors cleaned?
AOS inspected?
Throttle body inspected/cleaned?
Coil packs inspected for cracks?

These are common things that can cause sluggish performance in our cars without necessarily tripping a CEL.