Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #1

Question Engine Temperature Indicator

Just got my first 99 Boxster with 75K plus mileage. It ran very well. I noticed the engine temperature indicator showed above 180 mark. It was more like 205-215.
Is it normal for a Boxster after 15 minute cruising? Any comment and info is greatly appreciated.

silbord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by silbord
Just got my first 99 Boxster with 75K plus mileage. It ran very well. I noticed the engine temperature indicator showed above 180 mark. It was more like 205-215.
Is it normal for a Boxster after 15 minute cruising? Any comment and info is greatly appreciated.

No, you have a problem some where......................
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
That is not normal. After warm up, my car's temp gauge points exactly between the 8 and 0 at 180, and hardly ever moves from there, even after hard driving. Something is amiss in your cooling system, and I'd look into it.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 AM   #4

Wow, if the gauge is showing 210*, I wonder what the real temp is?

We all know how "accurate" the factory gauge is, afterall.

Definitely get your car looked at before it melts down.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
No, you have a problem some where......................
Since the engine temp gauge above 180 is not normal on a Boxster, what do you think the causes of this? I read some of your posts regarding T-stat 180LN vs 160LN. Should I change T-stat 180 LN to 160 LN in order to lower the engine temp?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Since the engine temp gauge above 180 is not normal on a Boxster, what do you think the causes of this? I read some of your posts regarding T-stat 180LN vs 160LN. Should I change T-stat 180 LN to 160 LN in order to lower the engine temp?
Often it's something simple when the temp is just a bit above where it should be. A stuck thermostat has always been culprit #1 with my cars. # 2 is a blocked radiator or disabled electric fan....
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:07 AM   #7

Quote:
The very first thing you should be doing is get the car to someone with an OBD II scanner capable of real time data capture (PID); have them check what your water temp really is at before you puke something major.

You could have a bad dash gauge, temp sending sensor, water pump, externally blocked radiators, or dead thermostat; you need to start eliminating items one at a time rather than just swapping out parts……………
Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 AM   #8

Quote:
The very first thing you should be doing is get the car to someone with an OBD II scanner capable of real time data capture (PID); have them check what your water temp really is at before you puke something major.

You could have a bad dash gauge, temp sending sensor, water pump, externally blocked radiators, or dead thermostat; you need to start eliminating items one at a time rather than just swapping out parts……………
JFP - Thanks for your suggestions. I reviewed the previous owner 's service records and found both the water pump & thermostat was replaced last year. I would think that they should not go bad already.

Where can I buy the OBD II scanner w/ PID?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
JFP - Thanks for your suggestions. I reviewed the previous owner 's service records and found both the water pump & thermostat was replaced last year. I would think that they should not go bad already.

Where can I buy the OBD II scanner w/ PID?

Thanks
A lot of people make them: Snap-On Modis, Actron, Vertronix, and the Porsche specific Durametric can all do it………..check the model features, the better units usually have it.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #10

With a recent waterpump/t-stat replacement, 1st place to start is making sure the system has been properly bled. If not, you could easily get the temps you're seeing.

For scanners: Code Scanners

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #11

Quote:
A lot of people make them: Snap-On Modis, Actron, Vertronix, and the Porsche specific Durametric can all do it………..check the model features, the better units usually have it.
Took my first 99 Boxster for a drive to check the dash temp gauge. After it warmed up and drove easily in Auto, the temp gauge stayed between 8 & 0 (180). Ambient temp was around 75F, a cool day in PA. When switched to Tiptronic and drove a little harder, the temp gause increased to the middle of 0 (180). Switched back to Auto and cruised at 65mph, the temp gause dropped back to b/w 8 & 0. Switched to Tiptronic and drove hard, the temp gauge increased to right side of 0 but never passed it. Swicthed back to Auto and drove home, the temp gauge stayed at the middle of 0. Parked the Boxster in the garage w/ the engined off for about 15 minutes. Started the Boxster and the temp gauge stayed between 8 & 0 (180).

Is this normal for the Boxster w/ 75K?

I tried to search for a reasonable OBD II Scanner on the Internet and came across the OBDCOM for $86.00. It comes with a OBD connector and a software CD for the Laptop. According to the website, it can monitor and convert error codes except for ABS and Airbag.

Does anyone have any comment of the OBDCOM?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Took my first 99 Boxster for a drive to check the dash temp gauge. After it warmed up and drove easily in Auto, the temp gauge stayed between 8 & 0 (180). Ambient temp was around 75F, a cool day in PA. When switched to Tiptronic and drove a little harder, the temp gause increased to the middle of 0 (180). Switched back to Auto and cruised at 65mph, the temp gause dropped back to b/w 8 & 0. Switched to Tiptronic and drove hard, the temp gauge increased to right side of 0 but never passed it. Swicthed back to Auto and drove home, the temp gauge stayed at the middle of 0. Parked the Boxster in the garage w/ the engined off for about 15 minutes. Started the Boxster and the temp gauge stayed between 8 & 0 (180).

Is this normal for the Boxster w/ 75K?

I tried to search for a reasonable OBD II Scanner on the Internet and came across the OBDCOM for $86.00. It comes with a OBD connector and a software CD for the Laptop. According to the website, it can monitor and convert error codes except for ABS and Airbag.

Does anyone have any comment of the OBDCOM?

Thanks.
Sounds about average, but again: The dash gauge is both inaccurate and non linear in its function, so there is little, if any, relationship between what is says and what is actually going on. Once you acquire a scanner capable of monitoring real time data, you will se what I mean…………
Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #13

At that temp

I don't get any variation once the car is warmed up. Between the 8 and 0 and never budges. I too have a TIP and I mostly drive in auto but I do use the manual every once in a while.
Ever had your radiators cleaned? Have you tried driving for a while with the burp lever open and then checked the levels and closed the lever?

There are online instructions available for both...if you don't have em...ask.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
I don't get any variation once the car is warmed up. Between the 8 and 0 and never budges. I too have a TIP and I mostly drive in auto but I do use the manual every once in a while.
Ever had your radiators cleaned? Have you tried driving for a while with the burp lever open and then checked the levels and closed the lever?

There are online instructions available for both...if you don't have em...ask.
The radiator was completly flushed and new coolant was added last year. The water pump was also replaced with a new one. Work was done by Porsch Dealer.

I am new to Porsch Boxster and don't know anything about "burp lever". Don't know if it was opened or closed. Where can I find the on-line instructions on "Burp Lever"?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
The radiator was completly flushed and new coolant was added last year. The water pump was also replaced with a new one. Work was done by Porsch Dealer.

Not what I was referring to; I meant cleaning the accumulated crap out from between the radiators and A/C evaporators, as well as in the forward radiator wells. This is what we usually find after only a couple of years running:

I am new to Porsch Boxster and don't know anything about "burp lever". Don't know if it was opened or closed. Where can I find the on-line instructions on "Burp Lever"?

The tank lever is along side the coolant tank fill cap, under the plastic panel the pops out. Do a quick search, its use has been written up multiple times:

Thanks

Last edited by JFP in PA; 09-02-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #16

Quote:

JFP - Thanks much and will do...Great pictures and they speak thousand words.