Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #1

noob question about wheel lock

anyone know where it is, and for that matter the spare tire? on a 99 boxster?

bigborian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #2

check the front trunk

The spare tire should be in the fornt trunk of a '99. *edit - With the newer 987 models there is no spare tire in the front trunk, just a kit to temp. repair a flat.

There should be a tool kit (jack, socket, screw driver etc...) wrapped up tucked in behind the spare for changing the tire, check there for the wheel lock.

Last edited by pschaub; 08-26-2009 at 11:51 AM.
pschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #3

Also check the pocket on the front of the spare tire, I keep mine there with the guide pin because I take the wheels off for cleaning and don't want to have to remove the spare every time.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschaub
The spare tire should be in the fornt trunk of a '99. *edit - With the newer 987 models there is no spare tire in the front trunk, just a kit to temp. repair a flat.

There should be a tool kit (jack, socket, screw driver etc...) wrapped up tucked in behind the spare for changing the tire, check there for the wheel lock.
so underneath all the fake carpet and stuff there is a spare tire in there somewhere? when i pulled up some of it, it was just a metal plate but maybe i should pull it all out and check. Is it on the bottom of the front trunk or on the side somewhere?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #5

It would be obvious if it was there, it's not hidden other than having a thin nylon cover over it, and it would be standing bolted against the firewall. You don't have one.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
Old 08-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #6

JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #7

There's a bunch of them for sale on eBay...maybe you could find one cheaper at a salvage yard.

Wonder why yours would be missing? What else isn't in its place...
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #8

You can see it in the attached picture at the back of the trunk. This one has some custom pockets on the cover, but you get the idea. Even if the spare wheel isn't there, you might have a bolt sticking out that it normally secures to.

Good idea to check the pressure of the spare regularly too. I did when I bought mine and found it was at 50%. That would have been great fun if I'd needed it.

Edit: and another pic for good measure:

Last edited by sandyman65535; 08-26-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: added another pic
sandyman65535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #9

Have You Found It?

If you haven't found it yet, or discovered that you got ripped off and the former owner didn't provide a spare (or tools) drop me a PM with a phone number and I'll give you a call and we can walk through it while standing by our cars.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #10

I haven't found it i called the dealership where i got the car from and they said that they don't have it there. When they buy their cars they just take them as is so if it wasn't there then they don't know where it could be. They told me a new wheel lock from porsche would be like 15 bucks if that's true i might just go pick one up tomorow. I'm assuming that they would have to custom make it right? It's not a universal porsche wheel lock is it? Cause then what would be the point? any porsche owner could steal my wheels and totally defeat the purpose of the wheel lock.

I looked at my rear wheels today after doing an oil change and the inside seems to be wearing faster than the outside. I want to rotate with the front tires but i need the wheel lock to do it so i guess I'm standing by till tomorow
Old 08-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborian
I haven't found it i called the dealership where i got the car from and they said that they don't have it there. When they buy their cars they just take them as is so if it wasn't there then they don't know where it could be. They told me a new wheel lock from porsche would be like 15 bucks if that's true i might just go pick one up tomorow. I'm assuming that they would have to custom make it right? It's not a universal porsche wheel lock is it? Cause then what would be the point? any porsche owner could steal my wheels and totally defeat the purpose of the wheel lock.

I looked at my rear wheels today after doing an oil change and the inside seems to be wearing faster than the outside. I want to rotate with the front tires but i need the wheel lock to do it so i guess I'm standing by till tomorow
The wheel lock keys are numbered. Mine actually came with two, one in the tire pocket and one in the tool kit. I don't know how many different lock numbers there are, but based on mine, more than 10.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
Old 08-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #12

You can't rotate your tires, different sizes on the front and back.
Wear on the inside is typical to a degree.
Dealers have a master set of keys and will need to find the right one.
A lot of us change the locking lug bolt to a regular one so we don't need to dick around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborian

Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #13

hmm alright... oh and are the wheel sizes different from front and back or just the tire size? I'll have to take a look at my tires today i didn't notice that they were different. I'm sure they are not the stock tires though the outside of the tire looks brand new with plenty of tread left. The inside on the other hand still has enough tread to hold out for quite some time but you can tell it's wearing faster than the outside of the tires.

I'll go to the porsche dealership tomorow and get a wheel lock.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #14

Size Matters

The wheels are supposed to be the same diameter front and rear, but they're a different width.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
The wheels are supposed to be the same diameter front and rear, but they're a different width.

I see... that's for performance purposes i'm assuming? So that the car can turn easier?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #16

Boxster History

Unlike the 911, the engineers at Porsche A.G. were able to start with a clean sheet of paper for the Boxster. Weight distribution, suspension, steering, wheel and tire size and selection were all chosen specifically to give the Boxster neutral handling. As little oversteer and/or understeer as possible. That's why we have different width and different profile tires front and rear -- to accomplish neutral handling.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
Unlike the 911, the engineers at Porsche A.G. were able to start with a clean sheet of paper for the Boxster. Weight distribution, suspension, steering, wheel and tire size and selection were all chosen specifically to give the Boxster neutral handling. As little oversteer and/or understeer as possible. That's why we have different width and different profile tires front and rear -- to accomplish neutral handling.

Ic ic thank you for sharing that little bit of information with me. The engineers at Porsche built the car with Autocross in mind eh? haha i love it
Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #18

Also, the inside of the rear tires do wear faster than the outside due to the negative camber setup on the rear wheels.

Normal (crappy handling) car's rear wheels look like this:
|-o-|

Your like-it's-on-rails Boxster's rear wheels are more like this:

/-o-\

Thus, the inside edges wear faster.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #19

Why do I have the urge to watch star wars now?

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
Old 08-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #20

hahah, nice catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimmy149
Why do I have the urge to watch star wars now?

Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote