Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #1

Possible Indicator of Impending IMS Failure

Just thought I would post this information, in case it helps anyone avoid an IMS failure.

Leading up to our blown engine, the car had a slight hesitation in 2nd gear, low-to-mid rpms. I took this to be a fuel injector problem. In fact, we ran some fuel injector cleaner through the car on that fateful day.

I can't be sure, but it seams like the IMS failure occurred at about the same gear/rpm range where we had been experiencing the hesitation. The engine failed as we accelerated away from a stop light, probably at about 28-30 mph - this is roughly where we had the hesitiation.

The argument against this being an indicator is that I actually thought that the fuel injector cleaner had done the trick... earlier in the day the hesitation seemed to have gone away.

Has anyone else who has experienced an IMS failure had a similar experience?

(2003 Boxster S, still sitting in the garage....)

Last edited by 986Shaft; 08-14-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Modify Title
986Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Shaft
Just thought I would post this information, in case it helps anyone avoid an IMS failure.

Leading up to our blown engine, the car had a slight hesitation in 2nd gear, low-to-mid rpms. I took this to be a fuel injector problem. In fact, we ran some fuel injector cleaner through the car on that fateful day.

I can't be sure, but it seams like the IMS failure occurred at about the same gear/rpm range where we had been experiencing the hesitation. The engine failed as we accelerated away from a stop light, probably at about 28-30 mph - this is roughly where we had the hesitiation.

The argument against this being an indicator is that I actually thought that the fuel injector cleaner had done the trick... earlier in the day the hesitation seemed to have gone away.

Has anyone else who has experienced an IMS failure had a similar experience?

(2003 Boxster S, still sitting in the garage....)
Ok, thanks for this post. I had a some hesitation in First gear the other day. Now im driving around with my butt cheeks clinched waiting to catch the infamous N1 H1 IMS Failure . Great. did it feel like a complete fuel cut for just a split second?? then never happen again?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Engine Surgeon

The symptom mentioned is isolated from the IMS.. When an IMS bearing gets bad enough to cause a hesitation, your pistons have already collided with your valves at maximum velocity and the engine looks like 3 mile island internally.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #4

The hesitation we had seemed to mainly occur in 2nd gear, and I took it to be a fuel injector problem. I posted the information because it was the only mechanical issue we noticed prior to IMS failure.

Jake sounds certain that a failing bearing wouldn't cause such a hesitation, so I guess it's not an indicator for the IMS bearing.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #5

Are u gonna fix your car? Stock or upgraded motor?
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
The symptom mentioned is isolated from the IMS.. When an IMS bearing gets bad enough to cause a hesitation, your pistons have already collided with your valves at maximum velocity and the engine looks like 3 mile island internally.

+1...Fuel delivery issues will have no effect on the integrity of the IMS- just a bad coincidence.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
Are u gonna fix your car? Stock or upgraded motor?
Don't know yet. It's my wife's toy, and I figure it (was) already to fast for her...we don't need a 100+ (mph) ticket. So probably stock (still plenty to get that ticket).

Unfortunately, options are all expensive (bought the car for $20k)

~$13,500 through Porsche (with clutch and 2 yr warranty). We've been turned down for any assistance from Porsche at this point, but have asked again - thought maybe if we had them fix it, they could at least forgo making a profit on the engine.

~I think a bit more from Jake Raby, and we're on the wrong side of the country - his warranty requires installation in Georgia (as I understand it)

~maybe $9-10K for a used engine. Doesn't seem like a good option, because we're afraid of losing another one, and it's not that much cheaper than Porsche with a warranty.

Ruff upgrade - I'm not close to that league

Sell it - probably lose as much or more than if we fix it.

It was fun to drive when it ran, and my wife want's it back. I suppose that means we'll fix it.

Oh well, my Vulcan still runs
Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
+1...Fuel delivery issues will have no effect on the integrity of the IMS- just a bad coincidence.
I didn't think a fuel delivery problem was affecting the IMS.

I don't know the specifics, but recall reading that the Intermediate shaft is under the most stress at lower RPMs, in lower gear. Supposedly why failures seem to happen at low speed, e.g. accelerating away from a stop light (as in our case). If this is true, I wondered if there was enough resistance at this point to cause the engine to hesitate.

From subsequent posts, it sounds like experts think this would not occur. If so, the hesitation probably was a fuel delivery problem, and not related the IMS problem. I just found it odd that it only happened in a certain RPM range in 2nd gear.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
I think a bit more from Jake Raby, and we're on the wrong side of the country - his warranty requires installation in Georgia (as I understand it)
Correct.. For an engine of mine to receive full warranty it must be installed by the same team that designed and created it..

But don't get stuck on a piece of paper.. That piece of paper doesn't mean much at all and won't do anything to increase the durability of the engine.
I have chosen to put my effort into the development of a well built, updated engine rather than having a team of Lawyers come up with documents with small print that are virtually worthless..

Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote