Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 12:58 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to sharkster
This is really great feedback but without an ECU/flash you're probably running lean with just those mods. You really do need to tune for mods like that- especially an intake. We have a couple of S' in the shop right now that we're doing the same upgrades you did but we're flashing the cars with GIAC's software and expect roughly 44HP more to the crank- that's what we've seen in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhead
Results as follow :

Horsepower (at the wheels)
Base run with Dansk headers/Dansk Sports Cat/Dansk Sports Muffler : 239.6bhp @ 6,499rpm
Run with addon Evo Highflow Intake Kit : 241.6rpm @ 6,606rpm
Gain : 2bhp at about 6,500rpm

Torque (at the wheels)
Base run with Dansk headers/Dansk Sports Cat/Dansk Sports Muffler : 139.1kg/m @ 4,877rpm
Run with addon Evo Highflow Intake : 140kg/m @ 4,998rpm
Gain : 1kg/m at about 4,900rpm

The fuel used for all dyno is 100 Octane as this is available from most pumps locally. The dyno graph is attached. Red is the run with the intake.

An air temp probe was installed before/after the change. I'm using deg Celsius over here so resulted in the double digit for deg Fahrenheit after conversion. So it's not that I'm using a super accurate temp sensor A picture of the sensor is attached for reference. Cost me about US$15. The following were noted :

Original Stock Intake (Ambient Temp : 89.6 deg F according to in-dash display)
Car stationary for 1 min with engine running :
- 102.74 to 104.18 (1.43 deg F increase)
- 104.54 to 105.44 (0.9 deg F increase)

Car stationary for 1 min with engine not running :
- 106.34 to 114.26 (7.92 deg F increase)

Car in motion at about 55mph for 1 min :
- Generally 6.3 deg F above ambient temp if engine was started from cold
- Generally 10 deg F above ambient temp if engine was hot when started

Evo Highflow Intake (Ambient Temp : 91.4 deg F according to in-dash display)
Car stationary for 1 min with engine running :
- 105.44 to 121.46 (16.02 deg F increase)
- 112.46 to 129.02 (16.56 deg F increase)

Car stationary for 1 min with engine not running :
- Similar to above

Car in motion at about 55mph for 1 min :
- Generally 2.7 deg F above ambient temp if engine was started from cold
- Generally 5.4 deg F above ambient temp if engine was hot when started

If anyone is interested to know how hot the engine bay gets, the temp sensor reads 153 deg F after letting the car sit for about 40 mins.

Observations :
- bhp was down everywhere except about 2,000rpm and 6,500rpm
- bhp drop is significant at 3,000rpm
- torque was down bet 2,500 to 4,800rpm and 6,100 to 6,400rpm
- Drop in torque is significant at 3,000rpm, about 5kg/m
- Air temp increase significant during traffic even with heat shield, 1 deg F vs 16 deg F increase
- Air temp generally lower when car is cruising

The stock air box is a real PITA to remove. The intake manifold needs to be loosened and even then, pulling the airbox out was no easy task still.

Needless to say, I'm unhappy with the overall results. I think the car is still somewhat better compared to a completely stock one but for the money spent till now, the past 2 mods (muffler & intake) have yielded negative results.

Some suggested in another posting that my poor results could be due to either a bad MAF or air leakage from loose fitting. I've checked all the hoses and fasteners today and found all to be tight. I doubt a bad MAF as my idling is steady across all rpms.

So now, I'm assuming a ECU is necessary to benefit from all this mods. Anyone with comments on GIAC? I'm thinking of taking that route but will need to live without my car for 1 week as I need to send the ECU to a dealer to get it re-programmed

sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster
We have a couple of S' in the shop right now that we're doing the same upgrades you did but we're flashing the cars with GIAC's software and expect roughly 44HP more to the crank- that's what we've seen in the past.
44bhp? Hmmm.... we'll see about that when my ECU returns from Evo Have a feeling that's a bit optimistic. Right now, I'm just hoping to gain back my street drivability (low to mid range) which is where I'm suffering now...
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhead
44bhp? Hmmm.... we'll see about that when my ECU returns from Evo Have a feeling that's a bit optimistic. Right now, I'm just hoping to gain back my street drivability (low to mid range) which is where I'm suffering now...

When tuned right you can really eke out some decent number... as I said that wasn't WHP but crank HP
Old 03-26-2005, 05:10 PM   #24

Thumbs up

Hey Sharky just wanted to say you have one incredible ride. I saw your car over on racing flix several mo back. Gotta love a 996TT that can do low 10's. I'm sure you're probably in the 9's now. Thx for coming by boxsterville.

Last edited by Adam; 03-26-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Hey Sharky just wanted to say you have one incredible ride. I saw your car over on racing flix several mo back. Gotta love a 996TT that can do low 10's. I'm sure you're probably in the 9's now. Thx for coming by boxsterville.
Heya Adam, thanks for the kind words... The car is so different these days, it's more set up for the road course now but I've done some more stuff to it recently and intend to go back to see what she runs. I think 9s is gonna be very very tough It was hard enough to get into the 10s but I doubt she'll go 9s but we'll see.

I get to drive Boxster S' all the time and love 'em... I almost got the 987 but I figured I'm going to wait for the cayman. I know the name sucks but damn that is going to be one great car.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #26

Glad to hear you like the box s. I'm sure it feels like a slug compared to your ride. What's your car pushing something like 750-800hp? I noticed your car only rides 2-3 inches inches off the ground....can you drive that on public streets without ripping scraping the fascia?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Glad to hear you like the box s. I'm sure it feels like a slug compared to your ride. What's your car pushing something like 750-800hp? I noticed your car only rides 2-3 inches inches off the ground....can you drive that on public streets without ripping scraping the fascia?
Always loved 'em. They might not have the same power but they don't way as much and with the mid-engine have an interesting appeal with their handling. I love it. I think it's going to be hard for me to walk away from a Cayman... I'll probably mod the heck out of it too lol. Funny thing is Porsche knows if they outfitted the Boxster with the same motor as a 997 or 996 it'd SPANK the 911.

The car has 800hp now and that picture you see is after we raised it an inch. During the shoot out in Vegas in December is was so low I could barely get my hand underneath it. I've learned to go sideways and scrape occasionally.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:53 AM   #28

You know I have a couple of 911s in stock right now. They ARE a very cool car. I agree that the mid engined car is the one for most drivers but I have to admit I feel pretty cool dropping the top and going for a ride in the 911-4.

Hey, they are ALL pretty nice, no?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote