Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 04:03 AM   #1

Tires again. From newbie

Would winter tires make sense in Raleigh,NC? My boxster will need tire replacement before the year is out. So I was wondering if it makes any sense to replace with winter tires rather than summer.

We normally do not get much snow here if at all. But it does get cold enough to freez water on the roads. I do not have to use the boxster right now and it is garaged. Thing would change if I get a job that required the car.

ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:44 AM   #2

Assume you are talking about so-called ALL SEASON tires. In my mind, they could be a useful move. Also, they will last longer and run quieter. These are also called Touring tires.

I doubt you would need real SNOW tires. They are a whole different deal.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #3

Is the BOX your daily driver? In my opinion if you are going to keep regular tires for the other 3 seasons then it can't hurt, except your wallet. You said you get no snow but ice, well ice is ice. No tire, unless its one of those studded ice racing tires will help you. I was told "AS" Tires are not great in any category and louder than a regular tire. They do wear less but really excell in no area. Living in ohio I was tempted to get the GY AS tire. But I got Sumitomo hzr III instead.

My advice is to read the reviews on tire rack about all season tires. Start with the bad revies then read the good.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-10-2009 at 06:37 AM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:43 AM   #4

Studless ice & snow tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=X-Ice+Xi2
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #5

Holy Toledo! (MP)

Actually I am considering the Sumitomo tire. How noisy are they?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #6

Ekam, I would consider studless snow tires if I lived in Buffalo, but not NC. Unless money wasn't an object!!

[QUOTE=ChefCarnivore]Actually I am considering the Sumitomo tire. How noisy are they?[/QUOTE]

I started a thread and it has some good feedback. I just updated it with my thoughts on the Sumitomo after 300 miles(yeah i know 300miles).
http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=187562#post187562

I need a good road trip for some serious mileage!! Anybody up for a roadtrip from Central OH to like KY, TN, INDY or even Pittsburgh? It could be a blast!!

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-10-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCarnivore
Actually I am considering the Sumitomo tire. How noisy are they?

Mine flat spotted like wagon wheels, you get what you pay for, tires are no different.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Mine flat spotted like wagon wheels, you get what you pay for, tires are no different.

what tires do you have?

Old 08-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #9

For the few days of cold weather here in Coastal NC, I do not believe A/S tire are needed. It is usually a bit less cold here in winter than in the Piedmont, and ice is almost never present.

We once got trapped in Raleigh in wife's 4WD Grand Cherokee on my way back to the coast because of a ice and snow storm. One night at the ol' Hampton Inn and the next day was fine. We could have made it, but the traffic jam was too terrible.

If I felt the need for winter or A/S tires I'd put them on some cheap wheels and change to a summer tire in the spring.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
what tires do you have?

Michelin Pilot Sport, very happy, been outstanding tires.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #11

Let me make it clear

Money is always an object. Especially where my wife is concerned. My only leverage is to get my tires at the same time as the tires on her Escape Hybrid. I bought the 08 hybrid for her because I bought the boxster while she was on a cruise with her mom.
It was like, "win-win" I hope.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #12

I had Mich pilot sports on before I got these. Loved the Mich's for the short time I had them(3500 miles) I didn't love the replacement price of $1200+. My local tire guy matched(actually beat) tirerack's installed price by $30 bucks. $700 OTD!! Average $175 per tire intalled. Now I didn't get a free hat or tee shirt like goodyear and michelin are offering but If I get a flat, and I will.. I only have to pay $175(avg) to replace it.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCarnivore
Money is always an object. Especially where my wife is concerned. My only leverage is to get my tires at the same time as the tires on her Escape Hybrid. I bought the 08 hybrid for her because I bought the boxster while she was on a cruise with her mom.
It was like, "win-win" I hope.

I understand budget concerns, I truly do, however, I would put money in quality rubber over any of the hyped performance mod add ons but that's just me.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #14

Quote:
I had Mich pilot sports on before I got these. Loved the Mich's for the short time I had them(3500 miles) I didn't love the replacement price of $1200+. My local tire guy matched(actually beat) tirerack's installed price by $30 bucks. $700 OTD!! Average $175 per tire intalled. Now I didn't get a free hat or tee shirt like goodyear and michelin are offering but If I get a flat, and I will.. I only have to pay $175(avg) to replace it.

I learned long ago that perception is reality, if you perceive the hat to be the only differentiator that that's your truth.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
I learned long ago that perception is reality, if you perceive the hat to be the only differentiator that that's your truth.
Still too new to make any permanent decisions. So far so good. I was all set to put Michelins back on, but the price floored me. Hopefully I made a good decision, but as I said time will tell.

side note: I wasn't slamming Mich or goodyear as they make great tires. I was just pointing out less expensive alternatives and giving my honest feedback about them

PS I really like hats and would love to get a free one!!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Still too new to make any permanent decisions. So far so good. I was all set to put Michelins back on, but the price floored me. Hopefully I made a good decision, but as I said time will tell.

side note: I wasn't slamming Mich or goodyear as they make great tires. I was just pointing out less expensive alternatives and giving my honest feedback about them

PS I really like hats and would love to get a free one!!

I hope they work out, I may need to make the same concession for the same reason at some point.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
If you get low temps, frost or ice I'd always get proper tires, but then I don't like to be cautious when I drive. I have ContiWintercontact TS790's and they do amazingly well in the snow considering the 40 series profile and you can drive them harder than is probably safe on public roads in the dry without wanting for grip. Surprisingly good really.
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #18

Since you're already considering the Sumitomo HTRZIII's note that they offer 3 versions of that tire. I forget the names (you can find it on their web site) but they range from Ultra Performance (Summer) to light snow traction (for dustings) to a real all-season (which should work in actual snow). Snow isn't going to be your concern but the rubber compounds change for the three versions. Summer rubber looses sometraction capability in near freezing temps. The middle tire should be better in the cold and would be worth consideration. For what it's worth, you're worried about it for a reason so for the price why not try the different tire?
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:49 AM   #19

I personally think that everyone is missing the point on winter tires. If the temp goes below 45 summer tires become summer bricks and lose a whole lot of road holding ability. If the temperature goes below 45 and you are going to drive the Box then you need a different tire compond to be safe. The choices are to get another set of rims and put winter tires on them and change when the weather gets cold and re-install summer tires in the spring, get All Season tires and give up some performance potential, get winter tire and keep changing back and forth or just don't drive when the weather is below 45. I hate seeing Boxsters wrapped around large inanimate objects because the tires let go. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:34 AM   #20
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
I personally think that everyone is missing the point on winter tires. If the temp goes below 45 summer tires become summer bricks and lose a whole lot of road holding ability. If the temperature goes below 45 and you are going to drive the Box then you need a different tire compond to be safe. The choices are to get another set of rims and put winter tires on them and change when the weather gets cold and re-install summer tires in the spring, get All Season tires and give up some performance potential, get winter tire and keep changing back and forth or just don't drive when the weather is below 45. I hate seeing Boxsters wrapped around large inanimate objects because the tires let go. Ed
+1 on to cvhs. If it's cold enough to freeze water. You're car will feel like it's on ice whether there's water on the ground or not. Driving in the cold with summer tires is dangerous. This is why all season tires exist.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote