Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #1

Where is the tank vent valve

2002 Boxster. Had check engine P1130 code. Short story: dealer says probably tank vent valve sticking. Anybody know what/where this is. You can be my new best friend if you have a picture of where its located! Would prefer to fix it myself if its not super-difficult to get to.

Thanks.

2001 Ducati 748S
Roadsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsaw
2002 Boxster. Had check engine P1130 code. Short story: dealer says probably tank vent valve sticking. Anybody know what/where this is. You can be my new best friend if you have a picture of where its located! Would prefer to fix it myself if its not super-difficult to get to.

Thanks.
First of all, I think you need a new dealer..............

P1130 is the code for an overly lean mixture on one bank of cylinders, which could be anything from a bad injector, intake leak, low fuel pressure, or a vacuum leak. So, unless the dealer has already tested and eliminated a lot of other possibilities, they are guessing, because while the fuel tank vent valve can obviously cause a vacuum leak, it wouldn't normally show up on only one cylinder bank. Are you sure that you only have one code?

In any case, if you want to look at the tank vent valve, it is found by removing the passenger side front wheel well liner, which will expose most of the EVAP system, which is where the valve is located.............
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #3

Its a long story about the dealer, but that's half the reason I don't want them to work on the vehicle. The work order claims they followed the diagnogstic tree cleared the fault, test drove, and it didn't come back. How they came to the conclusion that its a tank vent valve I have no idea...but they wanted over $400 to fix it,...I said no way. A couple weeks later CEL back on. Had code read at Avanced Autoparts P1130 (only one). A couple of weeks later CEL back on. Had code read again P1130 (only one). Not sure if it matters, but the light "seems" to come on when the tank is full/filled. Seems to run fine otherwise. I will do the diagnostics myself, even if I have to pony up some money for a code reader.

Thanks for the info though!
2001 Ducati 748S
Roadsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsaw
Its a long story about the dealer, but that's half the reason I don't want them to work on the vehicle. The work order claims they followed the diagnogstic tree cleared the fault, test drove, and it didn't come back. How they came to the conclusion that its a tank vent valve I have no idea...but they wanted over $400 to fix it,...I said no way. A couple weeks later CEL back on. Had code read at Avanced Autoparts P1130 (only one). A couple of weeks later CEL back on. Had code read again P1130 (only one). Not sure if it matters, but the light "seems" to come on when the tank is full/filled. Seems to run fine otherwise. I will do the diagnostics myself, even if I have to pony up some money for a code reader.

Thanks for the info though!
Good advice so far, but a lean condition in a cylinder is fairly serious business.

The reason the DME is throwing the code is that this condition is beyond the DME's ability to correct for it.

Running a cylinder lean can create issues with the valves and the piston in pretty short order.

As an example, I was racing a formula ford and unbeknownst to me, one of the intake runners had developed a leak at the gasket between it and the carburettor. The race started and on lap 10, I was forced to pit - the lean condition had burned a hole through the #4 piston.

Now, you're not operating under race extremes, so it'll take a little longer than 10 laps, but ultimately, if uncorrected, the result will be the same.

Pocket scanners are cheap and s/b in every Boxster owners toolbox (plus you can use them on all your other cars too). I use the - Actron cp9125 Pocket Code Scanner It's compact (carry it with the car) and works great, for not much money.

I too am somewhat skeptical about the tank vent. While it cannot be ruled out, it certainly wouldn't top the list of possibilities. Before pulling the wheel and wheel liner, start the car and see if the CEL lights and if so, get out and put your ear to the passenger wheel well and listen carefully for any hissing (if it's throwing a code, it s/b audible). If not, forget the vent for the time being and get the motor open (service position) and listen for vac leaks there, inspect all vac tubing, etc. If ultimately nothing is found on the motor, explore the Evap system further.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote