Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #1

Electrical help needed?

Well I think its electrical help I need anyway.

Can anyone tell me where to find a voltage regulator for a 2001 Boxster?

My car is not holding a constant voltage and it is surging up and down about 200 RPM. While at the same time all the electrical items pulse up and down with the RPM. The battery checks out and this is my next option.

I am also getting the code “9133 61 term low engine running” any ideas or suggestions for further diagnostics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tarry

THTABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #2

It is in the alternator................
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #3

I need to know where I can find/buy a new one. I know where the one i own is located. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTABE
I need to know where I can find/buy a new one. I know where the one i own is located. Thanks!
Sunset Porsche, Beaverton, OR
Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #5

I already called them and they told me it is not sold separately by Porsche. Is that where you got yours?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #6

Regulator part #'s

BOSCH # F 00M 145 225
Transpo # IB225
Mercedes # 003 154 24 06

These are from a post on Renntech in the 986 dyi section and Mike Focke has a copy of the alternator removal procedure w/ images on his website.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTABE
I already called them and they told me it is not sold separately by Porsche. Is that where you got yours?
Local VW or Merc dealers...............

Old 07-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #8

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by idheaton
Regulator part #'s

BOSCH # F 00M 145 225
Transpo # IB225
Mercedes # 003 154 24 06

These are from a post on Renntech in the 986 dyi section and Mike Focke has a copy of the alternator removal procedure w/ images on his website.
I can confirm that the factory voltage regulator in my 2000 Boxster S, 6-speed manual is Bosch part number F 00M 145 225 . As mentioned previously, Porsche does not sell the voltage regulator separately. This is a standard part used by Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, and VW.

The following Bosch part numbers are cross-referenced by a seller on ebay selling the factory bosch part:

BOSCH F-00M-145-200, F-00M-145-209, F-00M-145-225, F-00M-145-350

That seller also cross-references the equivalent VW part numbers:

VOLKSWAGEN 038-903-803, 038-903-803B, 038-903-803E, 038-903-803EX

My experience: On my way home from work one night, the headlights started to go dim. Then they dimmed more. Then my dash lights dimmed. Then the ABS and battery lights started freaking out, and finally the car died. I was able to jump it and limp home. I pulled the alternator and took it to Pep Boys to test it (Kragen and Autozone couldn't on their machine).

Test Results:

Lamp/Diode Trio test FAILED
Regulator test FAILED
Rectifier test PASSED

I ordered an aftermarket replacement voltage regulator on ebay for $40. I installed it and went back to Pep Boys to retest the alternator. It passed with flying colors, so I reinstalled the alternator in the car and all was good for about 4 months. Now I'm seeing intermittent slight flickering map and dash lights. Also, I can light up the battery light very briefly at high rpm when I get on the gas. Otherwise, the car runs and seems to charge fine, but I suspect my cheap aftermarket VR is going out after just a few months. The moral: spend the extra bucks for the bosch part. Way cheaper than needlessly replacing the whole alternator.

Last edited by dalvarado; 04-05-2010 at 08:53 PM.
dalvarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #10

Flickering lights - bad slip rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalvarado
... Now I'm seeing intermittent slight flickering map and dash lights. Also, I can light up the battery light very briefly at high rpm when I get on the gas. Otherwise, the car runs and seems to charge fine, but I suspect my cheap aftermarket VR is going out after just a few months. ...
UPDATE: The flickering lights was NOT caused by a bad voltage regulator after all. The problem was worn slip rings inside the alternator itself. The worn slip rings cause the brushes to bounce and prevent the brushes from making un-interrupted contact with the rings, resulting in a spikey output and flickering lights. I couldn't find replacement alternators anywhere locally, so I had mine rebuilt(which includes a new VR as well). Problem solved.

I have a perfectly functional slightly used voltage regulator with 400 miles on it in the for sale section up for grabs.

dalvarado is offline   Reply With Quote