Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2005, 05:26 AM   #1

Question Concerns with EVO quick flow add on?

I like the idea of the cheap sound enhancement and couple of extra hp's that appear to come with one of these intake replacements.
Are there any downsides to this change out compared to the stock design?
Is this a fairly easy change out for a newbie?

Thanks

Maxandwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:45 AM   #2

Do you have a link you can post?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:01 AM   #3

Info

WWW.EVOMS.COM

Boxster | Tuning Systems | Computer | Exhaust | Intake | Shifter | Transmission | Brakes | Suspension | Wheels | Aero | Lighting | Interior |

Boxster Air Induction Tuning

EVO HighFlow Fresh Air Intake System: Engineered for maximum power and sound. This engineered system eliminates the OEM restrictive airbox and incorporates a HighFlow aFe cone air filter and sealed fresh air chamber. A cone filter has superior air flow characteristics as compared to flat panel filters. The cone filter better shapes the air as it enters through the filter for smoother straighter more formed air. Next, we have CMC machined a MAF housing to the exact tolerances of the OEM housing for precise MAF reading and NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS. In addition, the sealed air chamber sections off the cone air filter from the engine compartment so that it can only draw cool outside air for more power. Finally, our system is injected molded from crosslink polyethylene which has the lowest thermal conductivity rating of any single-layered moldable material available on the market today. This is key in keeping intake temperatures low and increasing power.

Boxster HF Intake Instructions

HighFlow kit
Model Year Power Description Part # Price Dyno
Boxster S 3.2L 2000- 8-10 HighFlow air Intake System INTK98632HF $379 DYNO
Boxster 2.7L 2000- 8-10 HighFlow air Intake System INTK98627HF $379
Boxster 2.5L 1997-1999 8-10 HighFlow air Intake System INTK98625HF $379

EVO QuickFlow Air Intake System: Due to strict noise regulations, the Porsche Boxster/S is equipped with a sophisticated two-stage resonance induction system. The air intake tubes from the OEM airbox to the throttle body incorporate resonance chambers. These "dead air" chambers impede airflow and reduce intake sound. By installing the "QuickFlow™", the OEM restrictive resonance chambers are eliminated which allows for better air flow and sport engine sound. The QuickFlow™ Induction kit utilizes the OEM airbox but replaces the restrictive plumbing to the throttle body with 2 CAD designed, cross-link plastic air intake feed tubes. Also included with this system is a K&N high-flow reusable cotton flat panel air filter, high temp silicone hose couplers/ hump hose, OEM stainless steel hose clamps and associated fitting hardware. This easy 20-minute installation improves power and sound.

EVO QuickFlow kit OEM Intake System w/ resonance chambers QuickFlow kit installed on a 3.2L Boxster S
Model Year Power Description Part # Price
Boxster S 3.2L 2000- 3-5 QuickFlow air Intake System INTK98632QF $279
Boxster 2.7L 2000- 3-5 QuickFlow air Intake System INTK98627QF $279
Boxster 2.5L 1997-1999 3-5 QuickFlow air Intake System INTK98625QF $279

© Copyright 2005 - Evolution Motorsports Inc.
Maxandwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:26 AM   #4

I just got my Highflow kit installed. Have yet to do a dyno and will post a report after that. Should be sometime next week. From what I observed during the installation, it was a real PITA to remove the stock air box. This is necessary for the Highflow kit but since the Quickflow system uses back the stock airbox, you may not need to go through this.

In my opinion, there shouldn't be any downside to the Quickflow change IF you retain the stock intake filter. There are still some arguments that the oil in the K&N will screw up the MAF. Porsche Club of America said they've seen enough MAF screw up without any aftermarket oil filters installed though. They've since taken a stand that the MAF problem is not attributed to the oil coming from the K&N filters. I've taken the leap of faith in my case and went the Highflow route.

The cone filter definitely offers better air flow compared to the stock paper ones. However, the stock air box offers 'slightly' better thermal insulation from the engine bay heat. But only slighty.... I've the before and after figures on temp rises/drops that I'll include in my report.
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #5

Here is the same thing as the Quick flow system for less $$$$.

http://www.tweeks.com/shop?frame=8.81.3417
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:15 PM   #6

anyone used the trueflow???

I bought my car second hand and the first owner had done a $7k (can't believe he spent that much!!!!) techart engine kit. they did a new ECU (which is supposedly a 'mild' re-tune compared to the GIAC chip, for instance), new exhaust, new headers, pre-cat delete, and expanded throttle body. But when it comes to intake, the ONLY thing they changed was the filter...to a higher flow filter. No airbox mods, no desnorkeling, or anything like that...though they do add big scoops to the outside of the air intake vents for more forced air.
So I keep wondering if I should do an EVO or Trueflow or if these Techart guys really know what they're doing by not messing too much with the intake.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:22 PM   #7

If anyone wants to avoid the hassle of installing the evo cone setup as I did and retain the advantages of the stock air-box, you may want to look into this filter. No overly oiled filters like the K&N's, thus less likelyhood of MAS problems. Soon, I will add the high flow tube for a good compromise between performance and reliability.

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoOEM.asp
Old 02-19-2005, 12:32 PM   #8

Highflow kit experience

I installed my EVO Highflow over two years ago and have had no MAF issues.

Recently checked out the intake side and reinstalled just to ensure there were no leaks and everything looked fine.

Overall in car experience is more flow at higher rpm leading to a 'surge' in acceleration, whereas the stock intake provides smooth acceleration which tapers off at high rpm. So you certainly feel as if there is more 'kick in the pants' than stock. Of course the sound is incredible and every Boxster owner that has ridden in my car wants that sound. Good thing is it is not like an exhaust noise which attracts cops, this is more an in cockpit experience.
Problem is your gas consumption does rise, but my feeling is that is more due to the urge to use more throttle for the noise, hence more gas.

Install is hard work. First removing the 'snorkel' is tough because you have to tug pretty hard on that nice car to get the thing out. Then the airbox, which requires removal of the intake manifold or destroying the air box - your choice.
Not for the timid...
mike_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #9
Lux

Probably the biggest mistake is over-oiling the filter. Even some of the filters that come from the factory are over-oiled. Use oil sparingly!

Clubhead,
The EVO intake comes with a heatshield, correct? You can always insulate the heatshield more, no?
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
The EVO intake comes with a heatshield, correct? You can always insulate the heatshield more, no?
That's what I'm looking to do when my workshop removes the air temp probe from the intake AFTER I do my dyno. I wasn't around when they finished the installation so I could not tell whether there were room for improvements for the heat shield...
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:56 AM   #11

what about a 987-style intake?

anyone in the aftermarket selling, for lack of a better term, a 987 style intake setup? I'm assuming that the 'new' intake setup accounts for some of the hp bump on the 987.
or are these systems similar to the new style setup?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #12

I don't think you can retrofit a 987 intake to a 986, but I could be wrong. If it is possible somebody will surely do it. A good amount of the hp bump also came from ECU tweeking and equal length headers on the S.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:03 AM   #13

EVO Intake re-design....

It seems the evo intake has been redesigned a bit. I don't remember the stock throttle body interface being used before. Also the cnc machined maf housing looks different to me. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited by Fletcher; 02-25-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote