Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #1

4 wheel drive on a boxster?

Just had a dumb thought this morning and figured I would share. What are the chances of installing a 911 c4 4 wheel drive system on a boxster S.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice
Just had a dumb thought this morning and figured I would share. What are the chances of installing a 911 c4 4 wheel drive system on a boxster S.
I haven't studied it, but with the Boxster drivetrain being 180 degrees from the C4, I doubt it would be a simple drop-in. Plus, computer management being what it is, I'd imagine there's also more than just hardware work involved. On the other hand anything is possible with enough money.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... you are joking right?

Easiest way would be to weld a Boxster body onto a C4 chassis.

The drive shaft for the front diff on the C4 exits the "front" of the tranny, which on your Boxster faces to the back. In addition, the floorpan would need to be extensively modified to allow the drive shaft to run forward and for the front diff to be mounted and drive axles to run to the hubs. Then there are the electronics... probably the easiest part, but still complex. Good luck.

-- JB
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:34 AM   #4

I think the easiest solution might be to simply buy a C4

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #5

Not sure why you would want to really. The Box is so nicely balanced, the added drive control may not be worth the weight and repair related complexity. The 911 being tail heavy, needs the AWD much more than our perfectly balanced BOXES.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Not sure why you would want to really. The Box is so nicely balanced, the added drive control may not be worth the weight and repair related complexity. The 911 being tail heavy, needs the AWD much more than our perfectly balanced BOXES.

I'm an AWD fan, personally. I haven't driven an R8 or Merciellago, but I do have two front engine AWD cars and the traction is really impressive. I have to imagine that the mid-engine and AWD makes for some impressive launches from a standing start and would help pull out of corners better.

I think the old problem of excessive understeer has been eliminated by the modern torque distributing systems.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I'm an AWD fan, personally. I haven't driven an R8 or Merciellago, but I do have two front engine AWD cars and the traction is really impressive. I have to imagine that the mid-engine and AWD makes for some impressive launches from a standing start and would help pull out of corners better.

I think the old problem of excessive understeer has been eliminated by the modern torque distributing systems.

NO question that the traction is great and certainly would help a front or rear engine car. Not sure the incremental benefit outweighs the weight and costs on a mid engine car like a Box.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #8

Quote:
I think the easiest solution might be to simply buy a C4
and the cheaper solution.

silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote