Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 04:37 AM   #1

Question seat belt tensioner

The seat belt tensioner on the driver's side has jammed. I cannot get it to play out or retract at all. This happened once before but some jiggling seemed to free it up. However, no amount of jiggling seems to help now. The only good news is that it is stuck at my "buckled" length so I can still drive belted. Any ideas on what may be wrong?

ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #2

Seat Belt Problem - Won't retract

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am having the exact same problem. And this is the only mention I found of it.

My drivers side seat belt will not retract or extend. Its just stuck. It is currently in the retracted position. Thus I can not buckle the seat belt to drive the car. Has anyone out there had a similiar problem. I have wiggled the thing and messed with it a ton. It just won't budge.

Anyone have any suggestions?
bigwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
boggtown

Get some racing harnesses! Screw that seat belt retracter, nows your chance.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwatts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am having the exact same problem. And this is the only mention I found of it.

My drivers side seat belt will not retract or extend. Its just stuck. It is currently in the retracted position. Thus I can not buckle the seat belt to drive the car. Has anyone out there had a similiar problem. I have wiggled the thing and messed with it a ton. It just won't budge.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Hi,

What model year? The reason is that from model year '02 onward, the Seat Belt Tensioners use a small pyrotechnic charge (like a tiny solid-fuel rocket) to retract the belts in the event of an Air Bag deployment. You don't really want to mess around with these, especially with the battery connected. If trying to work on them, be sure to disconnect the battery and wait 5 min. before having at it to avoid accidentally setting it off.

In any event, these tensioners are integral to the car's restraint system and your safety. It's probably best to replace it, you don't want to find out the hard way that you'd wished you had. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #5

It is a 1997 boxster. So I don't think it has the pretensioners that you speak of.

Any other ideas? I don't even know how to get to the actual mech that does the retracting of the belt.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
bmussatti

How many years are sealt belts under warranty? You may still be covered??
Old 10-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
It is a 1997 boxster. So I don't think it has the pretensioners that you speak of.

Any other ideas? I don't even know how to get to the actual mech that does the retracting of the belt.
Hi,

No, if you have a '97, then you do not have the pyrotechnic seat belt tensioner. But, the standard tensioner is not serviceable, so if yours isn't operating properly, the only fix is to replace it. The 986 and 996 use the same tensioners, so you may find a used one for less $$ at on of the known dismantlers. Hope this helps...

Old 10-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #8

Dang! I have a 97 boxster too, and now I have to go back and tell my buddies that it did NOT come with tiny solid-fuel rockets.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Dang! I have a 97 boxster too, and now I have to go back and tell my buddies that it did NOT come with tiny solid-fuel rockets.
Hi,

Yea it does. That's what inflates the Airbags, the same kind of pyrotechnic charge. Hope this helps...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-21-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:31 AM   #10

If I can get a used seat belt and tensioner how hard is it to install. Has anyone ever done this. Or does anyone know how to do it?

It looks like I can get a used one for about $60.00.

Also will it be the same unit from 1997 - 2001? or what years?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:02 AM   #11

Quote:
If I can get a used seat belt and tensioner how hard is it to install. Has anyone ever done this. Or does anyone know how to do it?

It looks like I can get a used one for about $60.00.

Also will it be the same unit from 1997 - 2001? or what years?
Hi,

The procedure is the same '97-'01. Be sure your 'new' tensioner also includes the Belt. Here is the procedure:
  • 1. Remove 'B' Pillar Trim piece - Loosen upper retaining screw (Phillips), remove lower Trim retaining screw (Phillips). Slide trim piece up and remove.

2. Remove Reel Mounting Bolt at Rollbar Assembly (19mm Hex).

3. Remove Lower Belt anchor bolt trim cover (at the floor) and remove anchor bolt (19mm Hex).

4. Pry open plastic trim and remove upper belt anchor bolt from Rollbar.

5. remove Seat Belt Reel.

Installation is the reverse, but keep in mind that all spacers and washers must be reinstalled in the same order as removed. Seat Belt Mounting Bolt tightening torque - 50Nm (37 ft.-lbs.). Hope this helps...