View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwatts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am having the exact same problem. And this is the only mention I found of it.

My drivers side seat belt will not retract or extend. Its just stuck. It is currently in the retracted position. Thus I can not buckle the seat belt to drive the car. Has anyone out there had a similiar problem. I have wiggled the thing and messed with it a ton. It just won't budge.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Hi,

What model year? The reason is that from model year '02 onward, the Seat Belt Tensioners use a small pyrotechnic charge (like a tiny solid-fuel rocket) to retract the belts in the event of an Air Bag deployment. You don't really want to mess around with these, especially with the battery connected. If trying to work on them, be sure to disconnect the battery and wait 5 min. before having at it to avoid accidentally setting it off.

In any event, these tensioners are integral to the car's restraint system and your safety. It's probably best to replace it, you don't want to find out the hard way that you'd wished you had. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote