Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2004, 01:37 AM   #1

Dyno for Tiptronic is possible...

Just got back from my dyno trip today and settled my lingering doubts on whether a tiptronic transmission can be dynoed without complications. And yes, it certainly can

This is a baseline run before I put in mods like sports cats and Evo air filter. These will probably be done the next few days and I'll have a seperate thread to report on the results. I already have the Dansk exhaust headers on the car though and didn't bother removing them for a before/after.

224.9bhp (6,500rpm) at the wheels with 192.6 ft/lb (4,900rpm)of torque. I don't really care much about these numbers by themselves as dyno are known to vary from one to another. But it's comforting to know that assuming a drivetrain loss of 15%, the flywheel numbers are about 258bhp which is pretty much on target

Important point to note is TRACTION CONTROL WAS DISABLED prior to the dyno run and the run itself was done in 3rd gear under manual tiptronic mode (obviously).

This is not a traditional roller dyno but one that bolts directly onto the wheel hub... So the car is effectively suspended on the dyno and there's no need to strap the car down.

1 photo for reference....

clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:40 AM   #2

Another pic....
Old 12-29-2004, 01:58 AM   #3

Very interesting. Keep us posted!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:09 PM   #4
Lux

Acutally, your numbers would indicate 265.5hp at the flywheel going by 15% drivetrain loss. You need to multiply by 1.18 to get [flywheel minus 15%].

But 15% is probably optimistic for an auto tranny. I'm guessing if it's 15% for manual, you're looking at around 18%+ for auto. That would actually put you at 274hp at the flywheel with 18%. Which would make a lot more sense considering you have headers.

Are your numbers corrected for temp/air/altitude? If not, those are pretty good for hot/humid Singapore.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Lux
...Are your numbers corrected for temp/air/altitude? If not, those are pretty good for hot/humid Singapore.
I'm not sure about this. Let me check with the guy tomorrow. I just got my sports cat installed today. Not as simple as I thought it should be for a bolt on unit Took about 3 hours instead of 1.

Anyway, once I put the car on the dyno tomorrow, I'll know the results

Air temp is about 32 degree centigrade. Think that's about 85 degree f?

Actually, I doubt headers by themselves will yield that much bhp over stock setup. I've a Tequipment sports exhaust though but I'm told that does not add any bhp.... oh well.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Lux
Are your numbers corrected for temp/air/altitude? If not, those are pretty good for hot/humid Singapore.
Checked today and yes, the numbers are corrected SAE figures
Old 12-30-2004, 10:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by clubhead
[ I've a Tequipment sports exhaust though but I'm told that does not add any bhp.... oh well. [/B]
I noticed in the other post you have only one set of cats. Is this due to the tequip exhaust design. I thought most boxsters had 2 sets of cats. BTW, very nice Hp figures, especially for an auto.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam
I noticed in the other post you have only one set of cats. Is this due to the tequip exhaust design.
This is where it pays to buy an older model

2003 and above Boxsters were subjected to stricter emission control, no thanks to the Euro III standard. Hence, 1 more cat was added at the header.

The Dansk headers will cater for this as it has a hole for the O2 sensor on the header, which I'm not using. So I''m guessing you'll be able to use the Dansk headers as well but will need to plug your O2 sensor in.

However..... I've been told that even if you installed the O2 sensor onto the Dansk headers, the check engine light may still come on. Forgot exactly where I read this and why it will still happen but I didn't bother with it as it was not applicable to me.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam
...especially for an auto.
Sigh... I'm SO wanting to change to a manual, especially a 6 speed one. But seemed that no one knows the procedure or how complicated it's gonna get. I'm still searching around for a used unit though. Let me know if you come across any ok?

And don't tell me to go buy a manual instead as there are none on the roads in my country Ridiculous but true....
Old 12-31-2004, 01:11 AM   #10

Good luck on your search and possible conversion to a manual. I will let you know if I run across one on E-Bay. I have never driven a tip, but it can't be all that bad right....especially in heavy traffic. I can't believe no one in your country has manuals. What's up with that?
Old 12-31-2004, 11:25 AM   #11
HB.

Quote:
Originally posted by clubhead
Sigh... I'm SO wanting to change to a manual, especially a 6 speed one. But seemed that no one knows the procedure or how complicated it's gonna get. I'm still searching around for a used unit though. Let me know if you come across any ok?

And don't tell me to go buy a manual instead as there are none on the roads in my country Ridiculous but true....
you might be able to get some parts from this S

poor boxster

That just saddens me
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by HB.
you might be able to get some parts from this S

poor boxster

That just saddens me
Thanks for the tip I'll check it out. Looks pretty bad.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:37 PM   #13

That's considered "very light" front end damage? I'd hate to see what they consider heavy damage to be.