Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 05:27 AM   #61
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
All the heads flow incredibly, even the 2.5 has an amazing amount of flow for such small valves and ports.. and a stock 3.4 head has an exhaust valves thats the same size as the 2.5 intake, and the 3.2 head is similar to those.

Boosting torque is what really makes an engine responsive, be it street or track and torque is something that these engines lack from the factory, especially at lower RPM. The 3.2 is a bit better just because of it's size, but it's still pretty lame at low revs.

Grant,
Any turbo engine would never pass smog in an area that requires a visual inspection... You could keep the OE exhaust system and re-install it for smog time though.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #62
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 76
Lack of torque is why I have been considering 3.4. Tracks I drive the torque issue is problematic with Boxster gearing and I do plan to do AX where torque is king.

What would be a good approach for a guy with a 1999 2.5.

I have my suspension all ordered and it will be installed next week. So researching motors is next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
All the heads flow incredibly, even the 2.5 has an amazing amount of flow for such small valves and ports.. and a stock 3.4 head has an exhaust valves thats the same size as the 2.5 intake, and the 3.2 head is similar to those.

Boosting torque is what really makes an engine responsive, be it street or track and torque is something that these engines lack from the factory, especially at lower RPM. The 3.2 is a bit better just because of it's size, but it's still pretty lame at low revs.

Grant,
Any turbo engine would never pass smog in an area that requires a visual inspection... You could keep the OE exhaust system and re-install it for smog time though.
grantsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #63
Registered User
 
Brad Roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alta Loma, CA
Posts: 1,334
Why did everyone call him "Jack" for the first 3 pages of this thread?? :LOL:



B
__________________
Engine Builds, Transmission Builds, Engine Conversions, Suspension Installs, Suspension Tuning, Driver Coaching, Data Acquisition, Video, SCCA/PCA/POC/NASA/GRAND AM/ALMS.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #64
Registered User
 
Brad Roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alta Loma, CA
Posts: 1,334
Jake,

I haven't checked on it yet, but can I bolt 3.2 heads to a 2.5?? I have the heads and I have a 2.5 I need to get apart.


B
__________________
Engine Builds, Transmission Builds, Engine Conversions, Suspension Installs, Suspension Tuning, Driver Coaching, Data Acquisition, Video, SCCA/PCA/POC/NASA/GRAND AM/ALMS.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #65
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
The differences in "Real Estate" between the 25 and 3.2 heads and block vary greatly. The absolute largest we can take a 2.5 bore wise is 89mm (from 85.5mm stock), the 93mm bore of the 3.2 is way too large.. The way the valves are positioned puts them right at the edge of the bore, increasing complexity.

Basically the 3.2 is a small bore 3.4, thats one reason why the 3.2 doesn't see cylinder failures nearly as catastrophic as the 3.4, or any of the earlier 2.5 and 2.7 engines.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 1,079
I just re-read this whole thread. Jake gave some background on his experience in an early, rather long post answering several questions. And his various websites.

I'd like to reinforce the fact that he is Famous in the 914/Type IV world. The gold standard, the Raby name carries tremendous weight for bragging rights for owners with one of his engines.

I'll bet the -4 community is scared silly that the M96 venture will decrease 4-cylinder work. I for one am relieved to know that a rebuild program is feasible and that Jake Raby is involved.

No affiliation, I just spend a lot of time in the 914 kingdom.
__________________
Mike
04 Boxster S - Basalt/Savanna, 6sp, Carrera lites, hardtop
70 914-6 - Black over tan, original/stock
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #67
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
I just re-read this whole thread. Jake gave some background on his experience in an early, rather long post answering several questions. And his various websites.

I'd like to reinforce the fact that he is Famous in the 914/Type IV world. The gold standard, the Raby name carries tremendous weight for bragging rights for owners with one of his engines.

I'll bet the -4 community is scared silly that the M96 venture will decrease 4-cylinder work. I for one am relieved to know that a rebuild program is feasible and that Jake Raby is involved.

No affiliation, I just spend a lot of time in the 914 kingdom.
Thanks for the post, 70sixster...

The M96 development is just an extension to our facility and engine development. We haven't changed gears away from aircooled engine development, we have "added a gear" with the M96 program.

My aircooled efforts will not slow, my master plan was to do enough development in 2006 and 2007 to be applied through 2009 while I personally stepped away from the lab and got as far as possible with the M96 plan.

Through 2009 my team will be applying what we created for the past two years.. The M96 is just another challenge with a much newer engine design with another set of very difficult tasks to overcome. Thats what attracted me to this engine- it's problems.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 76
So Jake like in 914 world looks like youre in for some competition from V8 conversion. I'm looking at both big bore six and V8 for my Boxster

Will see which works out best. I will give you a call tomorrow.
grantsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #69
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Grant,
didn't hear from you yet...

Yeah, there will always be some engine conversion to contend with, but just like in the 914 world, the original engine doesn't require wild mods and keeps the car a tad lighter too.. Once the design issues that were created by Porsche are addressed the OE engine is no longer the achilles heel and you maintain the factory balance and center of gravity that the factory designed into the Boxster.

But we might just surprise some people by doing some conversion installs as well...
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #70
mts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 312
I just about pulled the trigger on Jake's 3.2 -> 3.6 uprade a few weeks ago on my 550 SE. However, it was going to cost me over $18k plus my healthy 19,000 mile motor out the door (labor, etc) which was just a touch too much for me. I'll have to hold off for a while or go a different route.
__________________
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #71
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
We have had several Clients with good running, low mileage engines that wanted more power and our reliability enhancements. A good number of these have sold their engines to opthers that have had engine failures and gottan 3-6K for them, then put that "free money" toward their new engine from my company.. I sell them a core engine (ildly broken and in need of update ) for 1500 bucks or so..

This is a win/ win for everyone as someone with a broken Boxster and a smaller budget can get a new engine with no issues and the money can be put toward the high performance FSI engine.

We have cars being shipped from all over the country to our expanded facility for our 3.2>>3.6 upgrades. Most are around 20K including installation and shipping from most anywhere in the country.. Shippers are starving and will haul cars dirt cheap!
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Marys, GA
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsfo
So Jake like in 914 world looks like youre in for some competition from V8 conversion. I'm looking at both big bore six and V8 for my Boxster

Will see which works out best. I will give you a call tomorrow.
What a great way to remove the enjoyment right out of the car. The Boxster is such a great little car. Sounds great, feels great, very well balanced. If I want to go fast I'll drive my modded STI. It's a brute, faster, handles better, but isn't anywhere near as fun as a little 217hp roadster. It's easy to make a car fast, but keeping the character of the car is very important. That's just my opinion. I don't think Jake's business will be competing with V8 conversions, because there will always be people that think it ruins the car.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Marys, GA
Posts: 178
Jake, what about just parts for rebuild. I have a friend that has a lot of engine rebuild experience with Subaru's and has rebuilt 4-5 aircooled Porsches. I thought originally, that was the plan, getting the parts out for DIY and local rebuild.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #74
mts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
What a great way to remove the enjoyment right out of the car. The Boxster is such a great little car. Sounds great, feels great, very well balanced. If I want to go fast I'll drive my modded STI. It's a brute, faster, handles better, but isn't anywhere near as fun as a little 217hp roadster. It's easy to make a car fast, but keeping the character of the car is very important. That's just my opinion. I don't think Jake's business will be competing with V8 conversions, because there will always be people that think it ruins the car.
I disagree that it ruins the car. Apparantly Porsche does too since the new Boxster S is over 300hp now. Besides, making the engines stronger/more sturdy is a main focus of Flat 6, the possibilty of more power is just an optional by-product.
__________________
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #75
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
Jake, what about just parts for rebuild. I have a friend that has a lot of engine rebuild experience with Subaru's and has rebuilt 4-5 aircooled Porsches. I thought originally, that was the plan, getting the parts out for DIY and local rebuild.
Complete engine kits are coming this summer along with training..

Right now we are still developing the combinations that will be used for this and testing them, since they are different than the turn key offerings..

All the testing and development takes a lot of time... I don't even have time to work on the website!
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Marys, GA
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mts
I disagree that it ruins the car. Apparantly Porsche does too since the new Boxster S is over 300hp now. Besides, making the engines stronger/more sturdy is a main focus of Flat 6, the possibilty of more power is just an optional by-product.
I am all for Flat6 and Jakes products. I was saying I'm not a fan of the LSx engine swap into a Boxster.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 76
[QUOTE=silver arrow]What a great way to remove the enjoyment right out of the car. The Boxster is such a great little car. Sounds great, feels great, very well balanced. If I want to go fast I'll drive my modded STI. It's a brute, faster, handles better, but isn't anywhere near as fun as a little 217hp roadster. It's easy to make a car fast, but keeping the character of the car is very important. That's just my opinion. QUOTE]

You havent been in my car. It screams for some character definition from a V8 or a big Raby 6 (Jake you dont know what pleasure I get from saying that). See I had to go to 6 verses 8 to keep up with you. Wimpy little sixes are cute and nice for grocery getters. I want something that makes me scream like a little girl when I exit a turn at high speed and hit the throttle. AWD Sti is too sedate and easy to control under 500 HP for my tastes. I have a 300 HP AWD sport sedan and they just dont do anything for me. 986 Boxster will turn into a challenge once your getting into 375 to 400 HP range. ..I like driving challenging cars.
grantsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 380
Garage
Hey Jake..

Did you get Phil's issues get sorted out yet?
__________________
2013 Boxster S
2006 Boxster--sold
1999 Boxster--sold
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #79
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH
Did you get Phil's issues get sorted out yet?
No... His engine is making way more power than it was supposed to.. More than we had planned and that helped us find a few more inadequacies in the M96 engine.

Long story short, it'll be even faster next time he goes out with the 3.6 but for the next couple of events he'll be running a 3.2 test engine of mine while we wait for some new valvetrain parts and etc to be finished up.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #80
mts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 312
Jake,

I'm going to go the 3.2->3.6 route with you as soon as the cash is available. I didn't see it on the website right now, but what kind of power are you getting from those in a dependable streetable format? I was reading about the new Boxster S in Road & Track and that sub 13 second 1/4 mile is pretty sweet. I actually like my anniversary edition better than the newer cars, but it would be nice to have similar power to the newer cars.

Thanks,
Mike
__________________
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page