Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #1

PST2 vs Durametric

Hello,

I'm new to the Boxster April 2008 (1997 Silver/Grey base car - NO OPTIONS - NONE!) and have a line on purchasing a PST2. I was wondering if the additional expense over a new Durametric - Enthusiast set is worth it. What can one do (to a 1997 Boxster) that the other can't? Anybody have any thoughts, ideas or experiences with either that you can share to help me make a choice?

Thanks

Fulcrum

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #2

Hehehe... night and day brother. The Durametric is nice. You can read all sorts of information with it, but you can change very little. The PST2 though pretty much does everything. In fact, a lot of guys here would give their left nut for one. If you can get a PST2 for anywhere near the cost of the Durametric software, then there's really no choice - definitely get the PST2. Plus you'll make a LOT of new friends with the PST2 as other Porsche owners will want you to help them fix issues with their cars with it.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #3

How much does a used pst2 go for?

My philosophy re: buying tools pre-need is that it actually prevents ever needing them, and may be worth it just for the peace of mind. Your car is thinking, crap, this guys got the mother of all tools and will promptly fix me so I might as well keep going.

I have a durametric and it's nifty. You can store real-time data from many motronic sensors as well as ignition data and dump it into excel, which could be helpful for diagnosing continuous or intermittent problems. It does not allow activating PSM for flushing the brakes like the pst2 does. I called durametric about that. They answered promptly and were willing to discuss things. They said they know how to activate psm, but dont for reasons of liability since apparently you can damage the system by activating it too long. You car doesn't have psm. I've never used a pst2, and don't know its advantage on your car. Perhaps the previous poster could have his trusty assistant demo one for our edification.

Last edited by brp987; 05-17-2008 at 12:08 PM.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #4

I would say get the pst2 if it is available, if you dont like it once you get it I am positive a few of us would want to buy it from you.

The line starts here:

1.Gary in BR
2.Kirk

Kirk, I had to hook you up on this one. Trust me it was no problem.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #5

I just saw a used PST2 for sale somewhere, probably Renntech, for like $2,850. You don't see them for sale that often. That's why I would jump on one that's even close to the cost of the Durametric system.

I don't really know all of the functions of the PST2. Loren at Renntech would know since he has one and often uses it to help other Porsche owners - myself included. I know the PST2 though basically does EVERYTHING you would want to do to the car's electronic controls since this is what the Porsche technicians use for diagnosing and repairing cars. The PST2 only works up to a certain model year though, like 2002 or 2004.

I know that with the PST2 you can do simple things like turn on/off the OBC, read and clear codes, reset warning lights (Loren's going to help me with this on June 7th), change automatic locking protocol (Loren did this for me already, doors lock at 5 mph), etc. But that's the simple stuff. The PST2 is MUCH more powerful than that as you can totally reflash the DME!

If someone wants to send me a PST2 I would be happy to get my Assistant to demo it.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20257&pid=104287&st=0&#entry104287
Old 05-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #7

If anyone has one in the Tampa area, I'd really appreciate (even pay) if someone can help me out and turn on my OBC.

releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote