Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #1

Seat and Tire advice

So I am completely hooked on AX and track days for my 98. So much so that I'm ready to get some better tires and put a sport seat in. What do you guys think of the GT3 vs. Sparco Evo XL? pros and cons of both... i like the looks of the gt3 better but naturally like the price of the sparco. i'm 6'2 so sitting lower is helpful if not a necessity with my helmet on. Also, i've got the continental contisport 2's and have determined they are crap when it gets hot... short of going to some race compound tires what are people using that keeps them in a 'street' class and can at least handle the drive to and from the track? my box is my weekend car so i'm not too terribly concerned with tire life or long distance seat comfort. thanks!

986barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986barnum
So I am completely hooked on AX and track days for my 98. So much so that I'm ready to get some better tires and put a sport seat in. What do you guys think of the GT3 vs. Sparco Evo XL? pros and cons of both... i like the looks of the gt3 better but naturally like the price of the sparco. i'm 6'2 so sitting lower is helpful if not a necessity with my helmet on. Also, i've got the continental contisport 2's and have determined they are crap when it gets hot... short of going to some race compound tires what are people using that keeps them in a 'street' class and can at least handle the drive to and from the track? my box is my weekend car so i'm not too terribly concerned with tire life or long distance seat comfort. thanks!
For tires check your local PCA results for top ten finishes in all stock classes. Then go walk the pits and see what those guys are wearing. The "best" tire does vary a little due to track conditions and temperatures. In San Diego the Hot Shoes are on Yokohama Advan Neova, Bridgestone RE01R and Michelin PS2 I think.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #3

First step is always consult your rule book. You may find that changing tire types (ie "streets" to "r comps" may change the class you run in. Same could be true with seats.

Sparcos are great seats and you can sometimes find them used for even more money savings. Spending the money that GT-3 seats command isn't worth it to me if the "savings" can be spent on tires, brakes, entrance fees etc.

You don't mention your experience, but the advice posted above was good. Check out others in your class and see what they run. Tires make a huge difference in how the car performs. Having a set of dedicated AX tires is not unreasonable

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote