Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2004, 12:43 PM   #1

Thumbs up New 987 Articles and pictures

New thread for all the information about the 987. Pricing is going to be according to one of the articles less than a comparable equipped 986. From 4 to 9% less expensive with more items being made standard equipment rather than options.
Take a look plenty of nice pictures on the shortcut plus car magazine road tests of the new model.
By far the most definitive and in depth article of the 987. Also shown is the future coupe.
http://www.porscheboxster.info

Last edited by Pilot2519j; 10-27-2004 at 12:50 PM.
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:49 AM   #2

And this weeks Autocar in the UK has further speculation on a ClubSport version of the 987 coupe

http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=211649
UKBXSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:00 PM   #3
porsche986

superb link,

did you read near the bottom, AGAIN porsche are going to hold back the power so it wont beat the 911. I mean i wouldnt mind paying a little extra for more power. Lets face it if the boxster out performed the 996 who would buy a 996?

porsche need to really start thinking about this issue as its getting annoying now. The 986 coupe is going to be built with racing in mind so whats wrong with hitting the 300+ bhp level, i mean a bog standard m3 or subura imprezza has more bhp.
Now the boy racer or ricers buy an EVO 8 for £24,000 new and can leave any boxster standing, its a joke.
When i bought mine back in 98 it was such a big thing like great BHP and a pure porsche, if i knew that in 7 years time the boxster still hasnt hit 300bhp i would have saved up a little more and bought a 996 or better still raided the bank and my company and got a turbo but then the inland revenue will be sniffing again

click here to watch the video

Last edited by porsche986; 10-30-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche986
superb link,

did you read near the bottom, AGAIN porsche are going to hold back the power so it wont beat the 911. I mean i wouldnt mind paying a little extra for more power. Lets face it if the boxster out performed the 996 who would buy a 996?
Folks who want a 4 door sedan would still buy a 996. Especially compared to a stiffly sprung smaller car without air conditioning, cruise control or advanced stereo options.

The only market that a club sport Boxster threatens is a 996 cup racer. If there is room for GT2 and GT3, there should be room for a Boxster based GTS.

IMHO - If GTS is a full blown track car, all that is gained in reducing horsepower is reduced customer demand.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:15 PM   #5
porsche986

I totally agree with you ad sach
Old 10-31-2004, 06:56 AM   #6

Club GTS

Quote:
Originally posted by UKBXSTR
And this weeks Autocar in the UK has further speculation on a ClubSport version of the 987 coupe

http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=211649
A very limited production model for pro racers and amateur racers. The idea of driving inside a tin box hearing and feeling every bump on the road is something I don't look forward to. Sure it will outhandle the base model but who in their right mind would want to buy it. I say maybe 500 unit production and that is it.
Regarding the tweaking of the 987 engine further. The great limiter is not rpm's, but three other numbers 9-1-1. These numbers represent the bread and butter of the company and PC is not going to put a Boxster with very like capabilities same as the 911 costing $20K(USD) less. Eventhough the 986 & 987 will outhandle and outdrive the 911 that is as far as the charade will go. It is common sense since it is reduced to profits per unit. There the 911Profit>986Profit.
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
Regional Moderator

Nice to see people here think the way I do about it. This link was discussed on PPBB and I think I was the only one who complained about the HP.

It is so crazy to go through these elaborate steps to set the car up for the track and then not give it an aggressive set of cams--at the least!

When I do get a new car I was thinking about the 987 coupe, but frankly Porsche has to realize they are competing at that price with a 2-3 year-old C4S or other very desireable 996 which DOES break through the 300 hp barrier.

As it stands this version will probably run very well with the competition on the track. Or they could add some cams and blow the competition away. Why wouldn't they want to do the later?

CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote