Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2004, 03:46 PM   #1

Performance chip

Has anyone had any stories or knowledge of these performance chips, not ECU remap? Do they work, advantages, disadvantages?

Like this one I found on eBay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7931462245&category=33597

tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:58 PM   #2

Every few months someone asks about this or a similar product. It is supposed to be a resistor that tricks the car into thinking it is cold all the time so the car runs rich. No idea if you could actually even hook that think up to a Boxster ECU or what it would do to the ECU and check engine light.

Save your money for Slick 50.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:36 PM   #3

"works for all boxster models 88-04"

Ha ha, this company definately sounds fly by night. 88 boxster, I sure would like to see that! If you want a good aftermarket chip check out www.giacusa.com/ It will set you back a bit more than 25 bucks however. I think the boxster chip goes for about $1300.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:36 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Be wary...among other things, some aftermarket chips simply re-configure the throttle position--for example, when you push down halfway on the gas pedal, it'll tell the engine that you're pushing it all the way to the floor. The rsult is that at first you feel like you're flying, but there's little to no performance after this "100% throttle" position has been hit. It also is a great way to waste fuel.

But hey, that's only my personal experience.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:14 AM   #5

Generally, you get what you pay for. Does anyone have any experience with a company called Upsolute? They have a program for Boxsters that a local independent Porsche mechanic uses. Basically, I understant that he has to unsolder a chip in the ECU, Program a new one, and solder it in. He indicates that it can be customized somewhat, and that along with an EVO intake, makes for a decent power increase. The price is more reasonable, $575.00 installed. Any thoughts?
scubaguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:33 AM   #6

Conventional wisdom is:
CHIP by itself is a waste of money
HEADERS by itself is (usually) a waste of money
INTAKE by itself is a minor upgrade
INTAKE + ECU is a Good upgrade
INTAKE+ HEADERS+ECU is better

If you want THE BEST, there are multiple opinions about Supercharger/engine swap/weight reduction options. All of them get much more expensive.

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote