Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2004, 11:04 PM   #1

engine light

has anyone have the same problem as i got .the engine light on .porsche dealer found out that *178 camsharf position adjustment bank 2 p1539 actuator---another one is *104 cv faulty p1689 ecm both required 10 hr's of labour $$$$$$$$,so i have ask the machanic ,how soon this need to be done .apperiantly he told me that u might not even notice at all so just drive it hoping some one have a better answer ,cause i did went throught the whole forum didn't come across with the same topic as mine .:dance:

911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:28 AM   #2

The fault you are getting means your Cam Tensioner has problems which it cannot compensate for by adjustment.

Driving your car with this error is inviting a major failure [sucking a valve].

I would not drive this car until you find a competent mechanic to evaluate your problem totally.

Short of running your Boxster without oil, there is not much worse then sucking a valve.

BTW - there is a TSB on this type of CEL.

What year is the Boxster.

I just noticed your name 911SC - do you remember the Carrera chain tensioner upgrade. This is telling you you are about to have one of those failures, if the CEL P code is dead on.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:03 AM   #3

it's a 97 ,yes i do know about the 911sc upgrade chain tensioner,is this a common problem that most of the 97-99 got ?
911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:59 AM   #4

No, I have heard about it a few times, and one person blew his motor because he ignored it.

Rev'd to high [subjective due to the bad tensioners] and that was it - next motor:ah:

I don't believe in dealers, but I would seek someone with a PST2. To verify the codes, or someone with a PST2.

If you send me an PM with your e mail, I will send you the TSB.

Scott

mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote