Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2004, 01:40 PM   #1

Conversion engine arrived WOOHOO!!

This bad boy will end up in a Boxster over the next several weeks. 2003 3.6L going into a 97 2.5 car. Wish me luck. I spoke to EVO (at the German Autofest) about their conversion cars (Michael Lansky's) and they hadnt done a 3.6 engine yet...

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:41 PM   #2

Very cool...wish I could have that put in my Boxster!

Let us know how it goes.

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #3
Lux

Awesome. You should try and get a few runs in the 1/4 up in Sacto just to see how the power gets applied in the real world. Or at least some g-tech runs against a similiar stock car. Would be very interesting! Even better if you can get video too.
:dance:

Last edited by Lux; 09-16-2004 at 02:43 PM.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 02:53 PM   #4

The plan is to chassis dyno the car prior to removal of the current engine.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #5

That engine is backwards. Hope you have a big shoehorn.

Is the shop in Redwood City?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7922449756&fromMakeTrack=true

Last edited by Tool Pants; 09-16-2004 at 05:58 PM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:20 PM   #6
Lux

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Roberts
The plan is to chassis dyno the car prior to removal of the current engine.

B

Eh, dyno charts are fine and dandy. But it doesn't relate to anything in my mind. I mean, the 2.5 is going to dyno like other 2.5s and the 3.6 is going to dyno like other 3.6s, right?

However, if you were to run a stock 1/4 mile trap speed of 95mph and 107mph trap after transplant then that gives me a real good idea of the performance gain.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:33 AM   #7

Lux,

I'll look into it. I understand where you are coming from... but most people dont have 60ft times on their cars. I'm more than capable of cutting .510 lights on a .500 tree.. but *most* people wont understand the numbers unless they are dyno numbers (basically for bragging rights)
Old 09-17-2004, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
That engine is backwards. Hope you have a big shoehorn.
You are joking right ?? LOL YOU do know that they flip the intake around for the Boxster ...

Quote:
Is the shop in Redwood City?
Yes... and I dont promote it in public forms. I'll show you what I'm doing on customer cars and share my experiences and what little knowledge I have. I HATE it when others do it on other forums so I dont/wont do it.

B
Old 09-17-2004, 07:47 AM   #9

Tool,

Your Ebay reference:

Everyone here does understand that a 996TT/GT3/GT3R/RS/RSR engine wont bolt to a Boxster or a 996 tranny ?? Those engines have a crank case based on the 964/993 block not the 986/996/997 block. Those engines will bolt to a 60's era VW bug tranny however...LOL

B
Old 09-17-2004, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Those engines will bolt to a 60's era VW bug tranny however...LOL
You've tried this?!

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:55 AM   #11

No joke. A VW type1 1600cc engine has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the latest 465hp 3.6L GT3RSR engine. The Porsche Motorsport engines are all based on the air cooled block. Basically what you are seeing in the Cup cars and GT3's..RSR's is a 962 engine or a 959 engine.

B
Old 09-17-2004, 08:57 AM   #12

wertwer
Old 09-17-2004, 09:06 AM   #13

This is a GT3 Cup engine. Take a peek at the mounting studs for the tranny (A GT3RSR engine has a carbon fiber upper intake setup) otherwise they look identical from the outside.

B
Old 09-18-2004, 07:34 AM   #14

Hard to believe it fits in the boxster given there is still a trunk at the back! :-)
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:06 PM   #15
Forum Contributor

Re: Conversion engine arrived WOOHOO!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Roberts
This bad boy will end up in a Boxster over the next several weeks. 2003 3.6L going into a 97 2.5 car. Wish me luck. I spoke to EVO (at the German Autofest) about their conversion cars (Michael Lansky's) and they hadnt done a 3.6 engine yet...

Brad

Congrats!!!

This looks reeeaalllyyy awesome.

Do let me know how it goes.

By the way, I will be goping on Oct 09 to Santa Cruz to watch the 3.4L conversion. Are you joining the crowd with this engine conversion in place?

B
sudeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:15 PM   #16

You are going to have a rocket ship there!!!!!!!!!!! How much is this setting you back for? The engine and the installation. 2003 engine develops about 310 hp is that right?
Lots of luck and post pics of the installation as is being done.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:54 PM   #17

Sudeep,

The weekend of Oct. 9th I'm *really* busy with an AutoX at Alameda AND a track event at Thunderhill. If I can bail out of the AutoX.. I'll show up for the conversion.

B