Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2004, 12:25 AM   #1

Question best way to spend $1000 for performance upgrade

I think my air intake upgrade needs some rethinking. So what's the best way to get the most performance upgrade for $1000? Short of re chipping please

rrb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:05 PM   #2

Can tell us what you have for an intake.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:07 PM   #3

none yet. was planning to put an evo air intake but ive heard it fouls the MAS. Was really intent onn upgrading intake but the oiled filters screws up the MAS. Was thinking along the lines of exhaust upgrade now
Old 09-01-2004, 05:49 PM   #4

Do you have any racing schools you can attend for some driver education ?

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:46 PM   #5

yes , a couple, but Porsche Club Philippines i think has one in the pipeline. how's that related to hp increase? :-) i notice my 97 2.5 is very thin on torque at the low-range. A slightly tuned '71 911 from our club has me eating his dust!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:03 PM   #6

The key is: most people need to learn how to drive. They spend and spend on HP upgrades/brake upgrades.. blah blah.. and they are still behind that "slightly tuned 911" when one good racing school session would make them MUCH faster without dropping a dime on the car. Depending on how that 911 is setup, your car should out handle it. You should be able to carry more speed into and out of every corner you encounter. Until you explore and find the limit of your car (undstand exactly where the limit of adhesion is for your tires/setup.. and understand oversteer/understeer... you will be behind him.)

This is why just about every pro racer out there starts off in Go-Karts. Little under powered racers force you to learn momentum and how to deal with no power. Adding HP is easy. Adding driver is VERY difficult.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:03 PM   #7

quite true. it would feel great though not to wait for the needle to reach 5000 before the fun starts. 2.5l owners you know what I mean. And most runs we do out here are on the highway --- straight line accel. Of course our cars will cream 911 in every bend. Just looking for that ooomph when i mash the throttle. Any input?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:11 PM   #8

Ahh yes.. the straight line "issue"..LOL

I need to contact my friend "Lynn" and find out where he is on the Boxster twin turbo setup he was developing a year or so ago.

Want cheap HP ?? Remove 400lbs of "stuff" from the car...

Just kidding. The cars are MUCH faster when we strip them down for racing.

B
Old 09-04-2004, 07:41 PM   #9
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

I agree with you Brad. I'd rather drive a slower car faster than a faster car slower.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:44 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Learning how to drive really is the best way to go. Besides, the lessons are fun and instructive, and there's no better way to spend an afternoon then pushing a car to its limits and learning from it. You'd be surprised how sore you are after a full day of "learning." After that, straight line "runs" at the stop light become less exciting than weekend track days and curvy country roads.

And the best part is: You can transfer this "driving upgrade" to any car, becase its YOU that has the skill.

Anyone near Birmingham, Alabama? I've moving to the area in about 2 months, and will be looking to drive 996's (or if they have them the 997s) around the track for intensive driver's ed.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:35 PM   #11

rrb986

no offense intended, if "straight line accel" is your thing, the Boxster is a very expensive and unrewarding choice to upgrade - better to start with a whole new car.

I am a twisty road kind of guy - for "straight line accel" I'd be looking at a used viper, corvette or some of the nicer 'tuner' cars (WRX STI comes to mind)

If you really love this car, consider saving your money for that used 3.4L/3.6L engine or Supercharger.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #12

Think twice before you S/C a high compression motor, unless you tear it down first.

Drop the compression. and do a few other things, and maybe you can do it with some reliability.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Roberts
Ahh yes.. the straight line "issue"..LOL

I need to contact my friend "Lynn" and find out where he is on the Boxster twin turbo setup he was developing a year or so ago.

Want cheap HP ?? Remove 400lbs of "stuff" from the car...

Just kidding. The cars are MUCH faster when we strip them down for racing.

B
Asked this question on another thread; how much weight can you get out of a Boxster S withought going the full race route? I.e. leave both seats, no fiberglass / carbon exterior sheetmetal replacement, functional ragtop. I know changing wheels is a biggie, anything else?

CW
Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
-M. Delaney (Steve McQueen, "Le Mans")
Cold Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by Cold Warrior
Asked this question on another thread
CW
Answered this question on the other thread.

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote