Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2004, 09:39 PM   #1

Question evo air intake

I'm thinking of installing the evo air intake system (cone-type). I've read from a couple of good reviews on some websites, but I read of one that it causes the check engine light to come on because the oil from the cone filter gets to the mass airflow sensor. Have you guys heard of this? Is the evo intake an effective upgrade?

rrb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:51 AM   #2

I've heard of this problem from many Porsche Techs and they all state that a oil based (even K&N drop in OEM filter) will cause a MAF to clog up, go bad (replacement MAF is $300USD), and throw a check engine.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:11 PM   #3

ok thanks. A potential MAF gone bad definitely needs rethinking.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:48 PM   #4

He is dead nuts on. I replace 2 a month. I normally take one with me to track events and AutoX's because they tend to screw up when you are really pushing the car. The paper filters work just fine.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:13 PM   #5

what do you mean paper filters? Is there an aftermarket intake system that uses a more direct pipe and utilizes a paper filter in its housing? i hope you can reply. thanks.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:18 PM   #6

I was saying.. stick with the stock paper filters and the stock piping. Not much to be gained if you only do one mod. One of our Porsche magazines tested the components (Excellence) a few years back and failed to find any significant HP or TQ increase. It actually caused the business to close doors and startup under another name.

Even with the K+N replacement for the stock filter... we have had problems.. the oil they use to saturate the gauze attacts the element on the sensor.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:15 AM   #7

thanks. you probably saved me whole lot of headache.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:27 PM   #8

These cars are fairly new. The whole BTDT is not very deep at the moment (Been There Done That). I pay very close attention to what is going on with the cars over time.

B