Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2004, 04:16 PM   #1

Question Chip mod - is it worth it?

I haven't seen much discussion around chipping the Boxster. I've got a '98 Boxster 2.5 and have been looking for the elusive "extra HP". I've come across Powerchip - www.powerchip.com.au, but it only adds approx. 10% across the board, and doesn't address the lack of torque in the lower rev range (that was addressed when they went to the 2.7L).

As Aussie Porsche's seem to cost nearly twice as much as the US ones, swapping for a newer model is not an option for me.

aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:14 PM   #2

Power chip, by itself gives you no performance gain after the first week or so. If the ECU delivered by Porsche were optimized for mileage over power, an ECU reprogram would help. Since Porsche optimizes for the enthusiast, your ECU is already pretty much set up the way you want.

If you add headers and intakes, then an ECU is definitely called for. The most cost effective upgrade is a 993 motor and transmission, but that's a big upgrade for a big price. Boxster HP isn't cheap!
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:57 PM   #3

I have physically tapped into Motronic chips in the past to see what the "chip tuners" where doing. Basically they remove a portion of the saftery zone that Porsche builds into each chip. For example: they move the rev limit up. They bump the timing a few degrees. When Porsche specs a computer from Bosch (or whomever) they automatically factor in the gas available in each country and RPM limit for reliability. The tuners push this envelope. Ad has it nailed. Unless you allow more air into the engine and get more air out.. there is really no need for a "chip".

Also.. I think he meant 996 engine upgrade.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:05 PM   #4

The engine swap you are talking in the vicinity of 20 big ones. I think at that stage it is completely rediculous to do it unless you have money to burn. I can see spending up to 5K doing mods over that I think it is total waste. Get a 911 then. I will do the mods I think I want without going crazy since I really love the Boxster design over the 911 and the way it handles. If I win lotto I will install the Carrera 440GT engine at that point I have enough horsepower for a while.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:12 PM   #5

WOW. They must rape you guy's in NY. Most of the SoCal places and NorCal places charge 5-6k for the install and 5-6k for the engine depending on which one you purchase.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:38 PM   #6

re: >>I think he meant 996 engine upgrade.<<

Actually for the 2.5L I was thinking a non e-gas engine to keep the motronics compatible. Someone with your experience may be able to do this right. A lot of shops that think they can put an e-gas engine into a non e-gas car may find themselves in over thier heads mid-install. Also the older engine may be cheaper.

No expert here - I sure wouldn't want to deprive a Boxster owner of MORE POWER
Old 08-30-2004, 08:58 PM   #7

Once I dug into the Egas and understood what they where doing... it didnt scare me. They used two methods. One mounts up underneath the dash and the other mounts under the drivers floorboard. One style is used on the Boxster and the other style is used in the 996. Both cars wills accept either setup. I personally find it much easier running some wires than running a cable. We will see.

B
Old 08-30-2004, 09:06 PM   #8

BTW: Anyone have a dyno from a 3.6L Boxster conversion?

I have been watching the Boxster Racing Board and there have been a few 3.4L dyno runs, and a handful of 3.6L conversions still 'ironing out the bugs'. I haven't seen a dyno from a really solid 3.6L conversion yet.

I'm not personally looking to convert. At 37K and 2 years warranty left, I still have a lot of life left in my S engine.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:18 PM   #9

My goal is to get the conversions nailed down. I tend to document everything I do with pics and word docs..(left over from the computer consulting days) so.. this next conversion will take some extra time due to the time consuming process of doing documentation. As far as I know.. only S-Car-Go in my area has done a 3.4 conversion. I know of 2 places in SmellA that have done 3.6 conversions. As more and more cars drop out of warranty and the cars start selling to the 2nd and 3rd owners... you will see more mods being done. I base all this on the history of Porsche cars in general. 356's where the same way... 911's...914's... you name it. Once they are into the hands of the 2nd and 3rd owners.. or the warranty is a few years out... the fun begins.

Oh.. Todd Zuccone in AZ has done 2-3 3.4 conversions. Him and Michael Lansky are tight.

B
Old 08-31-2004, 06:36 AM   #10

Brad,
The pic is very distracting, ahem. Regarding the engine mod is the price quoted from Roock Motors. Covers everything from engine to brake upgrade. Look at their site and you will see the quantum leap in quickness you get though not so much in top speed with each type of 996 engine either 3.4L 310 hp and 3.6L 340hp. The 0-60 drops to 4.9 tops at 180 with the bigger engine it's about the same the installation is about 5- 7K and the rest is the engine and the other components.
Does it pay to do it? As much as would want to do it there is something deep in me that says all those dollars are never coming back and it's all being spent frivously in a activity that does not enhance the value of the product. It does enhance the fun of the car by oodles. Going back to the picture Who's that gorgeous babe?
Old 08-31-2004, 01:26 PM   #11

Careful with Roock. We raced in the ALMS with them. They where running a GTS RSR EVO 993 Twin Turbo... I do believe that 20k is correct for everything you listed. Just not sure how much of it actaully needed.

See the wheel bearing thread. I explain who she is.. and show a few pics from the photo session. She is a "freind" of mine.

B
Old 09-01-2004, 11:58 AM   #12
Lux

I highly doubt a chip is going to give you 10% hp increase. Especially dealing with OBD-II cars.

More aggressive timing will get you a few hp, but only if you run the appropriate octane. 91 octane here in CA isn't going to cut it. The minute it starts pinging timing will get retarded. Wonder how many of these tuners' dyno runs were done on 100 octane gas?
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #13

Good point^. The GIAC chip looks promising but like you said it could be smoke and mirrors.

www.giacusa.com/
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:28 PM   #14

Smile

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will put the performance upgrade issue on hold.

In a country where the top speed limit is 110km/h, about 65mph, and living in Melbourne, where they enforce speed limits to a 3km/h tolerance (yes, hard to believe, but they actually do), I think I will stick with my 205 hp for the time being, and will invest the saved cash into my start-up fund for a Boxter S, 987 or even, god forbid, a 911. or....... maybe a set of track wheels and tires.

cheers

Great forum by the way....
Old 09-01-2004, 09:22 PM   #15

Show us some interior pics of your car. I would like to see what the RHD version looks like.

B
Old 09-06-2004, 02:02 AM   #16

Interior Pics

Hi Brad,

The sun was out, so I grabbed the camera and took some interior pics for you.

A couple of little differences stand out. In the Oz market, the CD holder in the centre console is standard, our digital tacho is in the centre, with the odometer and trip counter on the left. It means, that I never look at the analog speedo, just the rev counter and digital tacho. The other one is that we don't have those weird looking Audi cupholders dominating the centre console. I must confess that I don't understand why PCA would make such a decision. We have little removable cup holders that clip onto the side airvents. One for each side, and if we don't need 'em, we take them off.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:03 AM   #17

second pic
Old 09-06-2004, 02:04 AM   #18

third and final
Old 09-06-2004, 11:53 AM   #19

Looks great !! Thanks for the reply and the pics.

B