Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2004, 11:21 AM   #1

Question Sport suspension

How is it possible to find out if a 2002 Boxster S has a sport suspension or not
I bought mine from the local Porsche dealer. They claim mine it has the sport suspension, but it is not listed on the option list as it was retrofitted by the garage itself. They claim that their accounting department can provide the invoice for the work, but 1) I understand they are lazy to dig in their files and 2) I'd prefer to SEE it on my car itself

Thanks...

Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scherb Send a message via Yahoo to scherb
Hi I am having the same question on my car. I do feel the difference from a normal car to mine. Where my suspension is far more stiff then my friends boxster. All you need is another friend with a normal boxster :-)
Old 08-23-2004, 04:11 PM   #3

From a purely business stand point, if you are buying the vehicle count it as not there, until they can prove it.

If it is a make or break it with the deal, I know I would dig it up.

But if I was lying [which I do not] I would come up with a stupid reason such as the one you mentioned.

Find the value through the dealer, and deduct it from the price.

I would also be leary for any future dealings, considering the dishonest approach or lack of care for you.
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:38 PM   #4

The 030 vs stock suspension differences are noticable when you are familiar with the car, but subtle to detect. It can be very confusing onless you compare on the same size wheels. BTW- you should get 18" wheels to complement the suspension upgrade (unless you run 17" Hooziers.)

The color of paint stripes on the the springs is different. The struts have different part numbers. The front and rear sway bars are different.

Probably the easiest way to tell is too remove one of the sway bar mounting brackets (2 bolts in the rear) and pull off the rubber bushing. The part number stamped on the rubber bushing will match up to a specific size sway bar - which will indicate which version of suspension the sway bar is from. This is a 10 minute job that would give partial proof.

Obviously you could check the numbers on all the parts, but one rear bushing and the rear spring paint stripe codes would be enough to convince me. I say rear spring because they are harder to replace than the front struts and springs.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Ad Sach

Probably the easiest way to tell is too remove one of the sway bar mounting brackets (2 bolts in the rear) and pull off the rubber bushing. The part number stamped on the rubber bushing will match up to a specific size sway bar - which will indicate which version of suspension the sway bar is from. This is a 10 minute job that would give partial proof.
Ok, so I guess removing a wheel won't be enough. I'll try that. Thanks !
Old 08-24-2004, 10:14 PM   #6

Could you also find out by decoding the VIN number if it is an option?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:25 AM   #7

Well, i was retrofitted by Porsche...so it's no in this number I believe...
I am pretty sure my Boxster has the SS, but i would like a tangible proof just in case i want to sell it...
Old 08-30-2004, 07:14 PM   #8

Jeanott,

did you figure this out ?

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:23 PM   #9

Nope...would you have a magic way to check this?
Old 09-03-2004, 11:29 PM   #10

Do you have a metric set of wrenches (or at least access to some ??)

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:58 AM   #11

sure :-)
Old 09-04-2004, 09:55 AM   #12

Find a open end metric wrench that fits the rear or front bar snugly. This will tell us what size the bar is. I would use a dial calipers to measure the bars... but I'm not expecting you have a metric set of dial calipers handy..LOL Let us know what you find and we will help determine what you have. The only time I cant use a wrench to determine sway bar size is when I run the Smart Camber bars in our 911's and 914's... they change the inside diameter of the bar not the outside... but this isnt the case with stock Porsche bars.

B
Old 09-05-2004, 12:23 AM   #13

Stock 97 Boxster has a 22 front bar and 19mm rear bar.

B
Old 09-05-2004, 12:08 PM   #14

As suggested, pull off a front and rear wheel and look for the colors of the 2 paint stripes on the springs.

ROW M030 front has a red and yellow stripe. Standard is blue and yellow. If I am reading the parts list correctly.

For the rear I see different colors listed, and it does depend if you have the 6 speed or tip. So report your colors and transmission type.

ROW M030 rear sway bar is listed as 19.8 mm.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:20 PM   #15

Chris Brown has an impressive looking list of various 030 part numbers http://www.cb-racing.com/boxster_030.htm
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 07:38 AM   #16

I am working abroad for a month (where the roads only allow for the Cayenne in the Porsche range)...so I did not have time to check. Thanks for the input guys, I'll do it upon return.