Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2004, 05:41 AM   #1

Need help with code

Check engine light just came on and it comes up as P1125, P1123 which saids the same thing which is "Manufactured Controller Feul and Air meter. I have no idea what is it, how to fix it and how much it will cost can somebody please inform me. Also the check engine light comes only when I am at a complete stop.

Yoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:40 AM   #2

Sounds like your MAF/MAS is going bad.

Check this thread out:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2594
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #3

Not to frighten you, but as a mental adjustment you should definitely bring your credit card with you to the shop to get this fixed if it is indeed the Mass Air Sensor...

These are $750
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #4

Actually getting into the area is harder then the fix.

I have seen the MAF/MAS going for less then 200.00 if you shop.

You can DIY for sure, it is two screws and it's out, same to replace.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:30 PM   #5

I plan on doing it myself but I don't have a manual so its going to be difficult thats why I was hoping somebody had a print of out if or something in that regard, I have no idea of where any of that is
Old 08-19-2004, 03:55 PM   #6

Okay, I will give you the web pages:

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ARCHIVES&Number=763035&Forum=ARCHIVES&Words=MAF%20clean&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=762978&Search=true#Post763035

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=659&st=15

Finally http://www.smiley.net/boxster/

Then pictorials

Then evo

If you need more let us know, or send me an E mail.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:58 AM   #7

My check engine just turned off the other day, should I still fix the problem or let it be until it comes back on. I really don't the money to fix it this moment
Old 08-26-2004, 12:46 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
GREAT news....Porsche was going to charge me almost $1000 just to replace and the MAF....I figured it couldn't be that big of a deal...they just did a huge service, and I didn't want to fork out another thousand to fix it.

I'll be ordering that part ASAP. Thanks for the info, Scott, thanks for the links, they were very helpful.

-Kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:51 PM   #9

Yoslack, my check engine light came on and I was told it was an oxygen sensor error... then it went out and I had it checked again and it said all was fine.

MAF sensors can trigger check engine lights when the air filter is dirty, and oxygen sensors can trigger it when you get a bad tank of gasoline from what Hans, my Porsche dealership mechanic told me.

If I were you, I'd drive your car until it comes on again and stays on for a while. If your MAF goes out, you'll know it by the gas guage falling rapidly and you should definitely take it in. An over-rich fuel mixture can damage your engine.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #10

Just had this EXACT same thing happen to a 2000 Boxster. Owner took it to the local dealership and the dealer told him MAF. They told him how much and he left quickly..LOL I plugged into it and the computer told me 02 sensors.. one on bank 1-3 and one on bank 4-6. I checked and the dealer never even plugged into his car. I cleared the codes and drove the car for 40+ miles and never duplicated the problem. I even went so far as to data log my test drives and poored over the data gathered from all 4 sensors and the MAF. Nothing was out of line as far as voltage goes. Everything was in working order. Not even high or low on the values... just right. I still have the car so I'll be doing some more test drives prior to turning the car over to the owner.

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote