Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #1

Exhaust

I have a 2000 Boxster S. Any recommendations for an exhaust system/muffler. I am looking for a deep throaty sound.

achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
blkboxster

Yep B&B IS A OK SOUND HERES A SOUND CLIP

Http://youtube.com/watch?v=PVEiVEUwO4M
Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
boggtown

Nice broken english, lol. Fabspeed if you got the money, ebay (muffler only) is also good. Or the PSE is good.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #4

There are many good sounding exhausts. I would caution you on resonance in the car though. Its that droning sound while cruising down the highway that your wife will not tolerate.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #5

So what exhaust has the best balance of sporty sound with a tolerable droan? Do headers increase the droan or is it all the muffler? My GHL sounds awesome but i can't speed all the time. The 3D (Daily Driving Droan) is killing me. I would like to get the Deluboz or Maxspeed Header & Exhaust system but i think it will be no different. I'm still not 100% sure. Maybe i just need PSE.
Chris_Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #6

I'm not sure there are any exhausts (non factory) for this car that don't drone at all. I went from a GHL to the FabSpeed, and yes, it still drones too. Headers will make it louder, but you will gain power as the factory ones are horrible.

The PSE is a damn nice piece of equipment, though very spendy. I think what I may end up with are headers, high flow cats, and the stock exhaust from an 03-04 S.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #7

I've still got the stock exhaust on my 2000 S, so I don't have direct experience with this, but I've been researching a new exhaust a lot. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that all of the aftermarket exhaust systems have the drone or resonance problem. It's a pity because I love Borla exhausts in general and would like to get one for my Porsche, but I haven't seen any positive reviews on it.

The only exhaust that doesn't seem to have the drone problem is the PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust), which is also the most expensive option out there. But with controllable bypass valves on it, it's also the most sophisticated exhaust out there. I believe that the knock-offs of the bypass system on the PSE also are resonance-free...

If you look at a cross-section picture of the stock exhaust you’ll understand why it doesn’t drone. There are resonance chambers inside the exhaust to specifically control this. A louder, straight through design like most aftermarket exhausts won’t have this, and thus have the drone. I think to design an aftermarket exhaust without drone would… well, pretty much put you back at the stock system!

What's the best price anyone has found for the PSE? I'm just going to save my pennies and see if I can't buy that in the future. :-P
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #8

Another consideration with the PSE is that it is VERY heavy. You occasionally will see them on Ebay at a fairly reasonable price. I was fortunate as my wife bought me mine for Christmas a couple of years ago. At the time, Suncoast had them on sale for $1,195.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage

Last edited by steve00s; 09-18-2007 at 07:49 AM.
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #9

Great info Kirk. Thank you. I have to admit, i thought PSE was Porsche Stock Exhaust.

On the MAXSPEED eBay auction they say "IMO the best exhaust i've heard for a boxster, deep tone from 0 to 2800 RPM very little resonance felt in cabin from 0 to 2800 RPM when I say very little it means there is some between 0 to 2800 RPM but again very little hardly noticeable and easy to get used to nothing to drive you crazy, in other words nothing annoying." If it's anything like my GHL, it's annoying. I don't want to spend $1500 for the headers & muffler to find out it's the same.
Chris_Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #10

I have a GHL on my 3.2, and I have heard the maxspeed on a 2.7... resonance is very similar.
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #11

I tried the Gemballa and sausage-style Dansk and both had the resonance with my car that drove me nuts. I am quite pleased with the Dansk Sport muffler that I finally got that looks like the OEM Porsche muffler but has a higher flow rate.

It can be a little raspy, but does have a deeper tone and there is no resonance. For what its worth, putting headers and high-flow cats on the car do make for more resonance, you can hear it trying to come through even with the stock muffler.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #12

Comparing dual canister to single canister, a single canister will almost always have less resonance.

At the Porsche meet last weekend a guy had a Fabspeed exhaust and another had a GHL. I got to ride in both cars which were stock other than exhaust and both 2.7's, the GHL is clearly louder. The Fabspeed was also an excellent sound but, it lacked a bit of the throaty sound. The resonance was almost none compared with the GHL. The guy with the GHL said he loved it but...his wife hated it.

Is $500 good for a GHL that's been used for 5K miles?
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 PM   #13

I just modified my exhaust in my back yard. Pretty much ran 2 mufler bypass pipes to the exhaust tip. Pipes were 1 inch OD and inside was about 3/4....it sounds amazing and there is absolutely no resonace on freeway. This job is not for someone who doesnt have an arsenal of tools and experience on working with welders. If you guys want to hear it let me know and ill make a video.
blueillusion97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueillusion97
I just modified my exhaust in my back yard. Pretty much ran 2 mufler bypass pipes to the exhaust tip. Pipes were 1 inch OD and inside was about 3/4....it sounds amazing and there is absolutely no resonace on freeway. This job is not for someone who doesnt have an arsenal of tools and experience on working with welders. If you guys want to hear it let me know and ill make a video.
Sweet, can you make and post a vid?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
Sweet, can you make and post a vid?
Ok, give me couple days to make it and post it up on youtube....ill post a link here and start a new thread about it
Old 09-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #16

Hi,

* do you have pictures of the job?
* where did you find a place which could bend your pipes
* is there ANY resonance at certain RPM?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueillusion97
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
Hi,

* do you have pictures of the job?
* where did you find a place which could bend your pipes
* is there ANY resonance at certain RPM?

Thanks
I think i have few pics of a job ill try looking for them. And as far as bending the pipe i did it my self with simple manual 1" electric conduit bender. As far as resonance there is some at low steet speeds but i think is more of louder exhaust noise than resonance. And at highway speeds the exhaust gets quiet and it sounds very close to stock which is great for longet trips, but boxsters have loud cabins to begin with.....so as i sed ill looks for the pics and make that video soon. If there is more questions or someone needs directions how to do it feel free to ask.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01

Is $500 good for a GHL that's been used for 5K miles?
Sounds about right as long as its in good shape. I love mine...

1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote