Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #1

4/5/6 point seatbelt harness install?

Does anyone have any photographs or pointers on how to install a race seatbelt harness into my car? My supplier is not confident on making a harness bar for the shoulder straps and I was wondering how you guys have managed this.

Thanks fror your help

noone986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
boggtown

Ive done lots of research and if they are normal belts you can just loop them around your roll bar, just about everybody does. But DONT use these belts if your running stock seats, they could slip around your shoulders and jack you up.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #3

First off its not safe to run any harness system on your stock seats as they have no guide holes on the shoulders, laps, or sub. If you have taken car of the seat problem, then your shoulder harnesses can wrap mount on the factory roll bar... Laps and subs have to be a custom job... you can use the factory outboard mounting point for one lap, but the other must be drilled... OR you can use BK hardware... the sub can be floor or sub bar wrapped.
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone986s
Does anyone have any photographs or pointers on how to install a race seatbelt harness into my car? My supplier is not confident on making a harness bar for the shoulder straps and I was wondering how you guys have managed this.
I just had a 5 point harness installed last week - haven't taken any pics yet but happy to do so if they'll help.

As others have mentioned, the shoulder harnesses are looped around the rollbar behind the seats. The lap belts are mounted on the stock seatbelt receptacle mount (on the console side) and on a specific mounting point provided on the seat (stock 996 GT3 seat) on the door side. I'm not too sure about the lower belt - it is pulled up through a specific hole in the seat cushion and is obviously mounted underneath the seat somewhere.

Let me know if photos will help and I'll post some up (my car is RHD, but I don't think that matters).
jamesatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback guys. Any pictures would help James, I am in the UK so RHD too

I just ordered a racing seat with all the correct holes so should be fine

Cheers
Old 08-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #6

http://boxcar-racing.com/forum/index.php?topic=483.0

Good info there... I am now running some sparco 5-points that are FIA spec... I have my driver side sub floor bolt mounted... The driver seat is installed using BK tall man brackets so there is no more adjustability with that seat. The passenger side GT3 seat however is still on factory rails so I have a Porsche OEM GT3 sub mount bar that has the sub wrap mounted on it. I am using the BK hardware on both lap mounts, but over the winter I plan on going full floor mount on both and getting rid of the BK hardware. I will take some photos for you later this week If I remember.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:55 AM   #7

Excellent, thanks!
Old 08-28-2007, 02:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Any pictures would help James, I am in the UK so RHD too
Hopefully not too late, but here's a few pics showing the install points on my GT3 seat.

As per other posts, the lower belt is mounted to a bar under the seat - I don't know whether that's part of the seat itself or the chassis as I didn't install the harness myself.

Hope they help.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:53 AM   #9

Thanks James, looks great. Just a question, should the shoulder belts not go throught the holes in the seat?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks James, looks great. Just a question, should the shoulder belts not go throught the holes in the seat?
Sorry - yes the shoulder belts go through the holes in the seat when the harness is being used - I just forgot to pull them back through for the photo.

When just using the regular 3 point seat belt I pull the shoulder belts back through the holes and let them hang behind the seat, tuck the lap belts down the side of the seat and (if it's a reasonable time between track days) detach the central harness buckle from the lower belt and tuck the belt back down through the seat. Sitting on the harness belts (rather than in them) can be a bit uncomfortable on long trips - especially the lower belt & buckle...
Old 08-28-2007, 04:32 AM   #11

why is your outboard lab mounted to the seat? there is a perfectly good factory mounting point on each outboard
Old 08-28-2007, 04:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyc
why is your outboard lab mounted to the seat? there is a perfectly good factory mounting point on each outboard
Good question.

Short answer is that I don't know - it's just mounted where my local Porsche Centre mounted it.

Any reason to mount (or not to mount) a particular way?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #13

Well there is literally hours of reading over at rennlist about theory about floor mounting harness points, but the general by a large margin consensus is to floor mount everything that can be (Laps and floor). The OEM outboard 3-point belt has a mount in the frame that is reinforced from the factory. The cup cars I have seen use the same mount. The cheap way out is to get a high quality eyehook and clip mount the outboard lap belt and leave your OEM 3-point if so desired. This is what I have done except I am using the BK hardware to do so. On the inboard, general consensus is to floor mount as well, but you have to drill and back your own hole... I took the lazy way out for the time being and used the BK mount that goes around the seatbelt receptacle which is located on the inboard side on your seat mount. I just mentioned this about your setup because it seemed odd they would seat mount it rather than using the safer OEM frame hole allready there. The idea as it concerns to safety is that in a collision your harnesses will not move even if the seat fails...