Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #1

Need help!! Ignition Problem.

I had a problem with the ignition switch. Not the usual where its hard to turn the key, and pieces break off. When you turn the key, the starter doesnt even turn. Well I have an extended warranty, so I brought to Legend Porsche (1st mistake). After 5 Days they finally told me what I 1st told them (thx to this forum I had prior knowledge of ignition problem) It also affected the A/c controller. Well after waiting for parts, and labor, it was fixed. 1 week later, I got stuck at the stores, without being able to start. After an hour of trying, I finally slammed the clutch pedal down, and turn the key, and Viola!!!It started. Sorry it took so long to get to my question, but could it not have been the ignition switch, but rather something having to do with the car not starting until the clutch is fully depressed? (safety feature?) Could something be wrong with this, I guess clutch switch, which when engaged, allows you to start the car?

Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #2

I had issues with my micro switches in the ignition when i first got mine.. But otherwise I would guess clutch switch maybe.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #3

I also believe it's likely to be the clutch switch(sensor), but the a/c controls should have nothing to do with that. It was either a coincidence or perhaps a fuse is loose that services both of these things.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #4

Your vehicle has a clutch switch which must be activated by fully depressing the clutch in order to start. Typically you can actually hear the switch. If this comes up again and you're positive the clutch is all the way in - then I'd replace the switch...

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #5

Thx, you'd think the certified porsche mechanics would check this also!!

Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote