Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #1

Audio system questions...

I have the Porsche CDR-220 FM/CD player in my Boxster and I am perfectly happy with it, but was wondering about a few things:

1. How much of a deal is it to refit the factory hands-free phone system where the caller is heard from the car speakers and I just talk like I'm talking to a passenger? What needs to be fitted and installed to make it work? Is it only compatible with certain phones? I read about this in the factory manual and am interested in it since I am in the Army and when driving on-post, phones are outlawed unless on a hands-free system. I rode with a buddy who has a similar system in his BMW M3 and I was mighty impressed.

2. How to integrate my Sirius satellite radio into the audio system? Do I have to mount it somewhere on the interior, (ugly and I wanna avoid this if possible)? Or is there some way to feed it right into the radio from a hidden location without going through the FM transmit brouhaha that I am using in my other car? I don't like that part of it because when I get near a powerful station near the freq I have my radio receiver at, I get all kinds of static and interference.

These are probably dumb questions, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

GroovieGhoulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:24 AM   #2

GG,

Sorry not sure about # 1

Regarding # 2, since you have a CDR-220 you can order a part from Becker that plugs into the back of your radio and then connects directly to the audio input of your satellite receiver just like an Ipod :

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsche/99_01_carrera_cdr220_cd_4462.html

The plug from Becker plugs into the back of the radio with RCA inputs on the other end. You will need a cable to go from the RCA to the satellite receiver.

You might want to try these guys for a mounting solution :

http://www.proclipusa.com/home/home.aspx

I have satellite radio in the house and on my bike, but I cannot figure a decent way to mount it in the Boxster so I just use my Ipod in the car.

Hope this helps…

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote