Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #1

5W40 Turbo Diesel Mobil 1??

Couldnt help but post this on here...the other day while picking up the usual 5W40 M1 for the car, I noticed there is also a Turbo Diesel 5W40 M1. Anyone have any knowledge on this? I would think, if anything, it to be a more "durable" oil (as its designed to suspend diesel soot and certainly run longer drain intervals for the truckers).

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
bmussatti

Patrick, it looks like "marketing" to me, since Mobil 1 does not have a 5W40 for cars. These links may help you decide:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx
Old 03-20-2007, 02:56 PM   #3

Oops, my bad, I meant "while I was picking up 0W40." Either way, I find the Diesel bit interesting.

Patrick
Old 03-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Oops, my bad, I meant "while I was picking up 0W40." Either way, I find the Diesel bit interesting.

Patrick

I think if you look at the product specs, the diesel oil is a bit more robust than the 0W-40. Heavier viscosity and shear strength.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #5

Thats pretty much what I expected. Worth considering to run in our cars? Porsche says 0W40 or 5W40 so....if anything I'd think the more "robust" oil could be a good thing?

Patrick
Old 03-21-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
bmussatti

Patrick:

Red Line makes a 5W40 that has been recommended by several people on the Forum. I am currently using it, but only have about 300 miles on it, since it was done just before winter storage.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
bmussatti

Patrick:

Here is a link:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_motoroil.asp?productID=3&subCategoryID=1&categoryID=1
Old 03-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Patrick:

Red Line makes a 5W40 that has been recommended by several people on the Forum. I am currently using it, but only have about 300 miles on it, since it was done just before winter storage.

Many believe to be the best oil out there. My experience with it is quite good.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #9

I could not agree more on Redine. I have run it in many cars and race bikes over the years and could not say enough good. Also, I do believe their chemistry (what with Polyol Ester formulation,etc) is the best out there.

Problem is, here I can get M1 for a bit over $4/quart while Redline is $7. In the 3.2, I dont really care that much, once my 3.6 goes in, it will only live on Redline

Patrick