Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

Most Likely Buyer for Tesla 3 Owns a Toyota

The Tesyota Effect!

California carmaker Tesla is sitting on 373,000 pre-orders for its more affordably priced Model 3 sedan.

The typical person who's plunked down a $1,000 deposit for a Model 3 currently drives a Toyota, not a BMW, the study found.

Those customers are looking to switch because they think they can finally afford cutting-edge technology previously limited to the rich and famous.

Tesla, however, may be ill able to afford the customers it's attracting in droves: Toyota owners are among the most demanding, and they will be confronted with a brand notorious for its lack of reliability.

Sound the collision alarm (which won't happen if its a white semi-truck... )

Read it all here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2017/03/09/the-future-tesla-model-3-buyer-drives-a-toyota-and-thats-a-huge-problem/#61eee6e21680

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Should be interesting to watch. I know a few people that have placed a deposit and after reading this article I started thinking about it and sure enough they all are current owners of Toyota's. Interesting.

The expectations the average person has when it comes what the demand and expect of their car versus let's say their smart phone are completely different. Even vaunted Apple has terrible reliability compared to that of a average car. Every time I hear a tech company say they are getting into the car making and selling business I laugh. This is a tough business, with low margins and high customer expectations and huge cost of entry.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #3

I'd buy one (but have three boys in college!). My 27 year old son has a deposit on one. He's owned an 87 MR2, 2000 Miata that he turbocharged, a Ford Focus SVT. Now a 2016 Fiesta ST. He's a technology nut so the Tesla is very interesting to him. His boss has a 2014 Tesla S and loves it.

I have two Toyota's, an Alfa, a 350Z roadster and a Boxster S. I can't imagine where I'd sit in Forbes article, not that I care.

There are currently 6 Tesla's in our neighborhood and a former coworker of mine just took delivery of a new one. Two of my neighbors that I've talked to about their cars said that they've been the best cars they've ever owned and would planned to buy another down the road.

Hell, the reputation of our Boxster's isn't exactly sterling, yet I bought mine despite all the doom and gloom. Mine's been absolutely great. The only vehicle I have that is more troublef ree is my electric EZGO. Heck yes I'd buy a Tesla.

I love all the Tesla bashing. Gotta wonder where the sources of all the bashing comes from. Start a thread of all the start up car companies that got shut down, not necessarily from lack of sales. Funny how some states have even made it about impossible to buy due to some BS protectionism laws bought and paid for by big auto.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote