Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

Toyota recalls - government motors scam?

I seem to remember making a claim, back when the Toyota recalls started, that it was interesting how the owners of GM (Federal government) have the ability to run investigations and make safety claims against their competitors.
I was lambasted for making the claim..........................

This is from today's Patriot Post:

Government's Tire Treads All Over Toyota
Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced this week that after a 10-month investigation, eight million recalls, hundreds of lawsuits, congressional hearings and $48.8 million in fines, Toyota's vehicles were not in fact accelerating on their own. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, with the help of NASA engineers, conducted the 10-month study to determine Toyota's culpability in the now well-known scandal involving cars that would accelerate out of control. Their conclusion was that it was due to, as LaHood delicately put it, "pedal misapplications" -- otherwise known as "driver error."

The initial panic began in 2009 when a Lexus dealer put the wrong floor mats in a loaner car, causing the gas pedal to stick. Soon, the government was demanding that Toyota recall millions of vehicles to fix defective gas pedals. No wonder LaHood had such trouble using plain English. Maybe he's as uncomfortable as we are about the inherent conflict that arises when the owner of one car company leads the investigation into another car company.

Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #2

Ray LaHood is a joke!

As an owner of a 2007 model Lexus, I never really believed the bit about unintended acceleration. The car has been absolutely trouble-free. Never had to return to the dealer for anything but oil changes. I seem to remember when the govt almost ruined Audi about the same problem several years ago. That complaint was also proven bogus.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminhouston
As an owner of a 2007 model Lexus, I never really believed the bit about unintended acceleration. The car has been absolutely trouble-free. Never had to return to the dealer for anything but oil changes. I seem to remember when the govt almost ruined Audi about the same problem several years ago. That complaint was also proven bogus.
Agreed... We own 2008 camry hybrid and that car needs absolutely nothing since we bought it new. 57K miles and all it needed were gas, oil change every 5K miles and 1 set of tires.
I can't even get the pedal to stuck with my 3 layers floor mats.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminhouston
I bought a new 2007 Lexus & so far the fuel rails, cam timing adjusters, rear view mirror, parking brake retaining springs, front brake pads & valve springs have been replaced due to recalls or service bulletins. I believe 60 minutes started Audi 5000's problems. How Porsche has avoided a IMS bearing recall is a mystery to me.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #5

That's pretty nuts, all while making the public skeptical of Toyota's safety/reliability. I worked at an import shop for years and I still feel that Toyota/Honda make the best cars overall.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Right now, no one knows anything for certain - except Toyota and their not really talking. All we know is what some people claim and we know what Toyota claims. That's it. The case for and against Toyota is all based on opinions at this point.

Until an independent party inspects the actual ECU code, it will be impossible to determine whether an error in the ECU exists. Its nearly impossible to find a programming or logic error by empherical vehicle testing. Its not like looking for a needle in a haystack, its like looking for a needle in a hay field.

Toyota has repeatedly refused to provide their ECU code to anyone but their own investiagating team and their paid consultants. NASA did not have access to this data nor has the NHTSA nor any other government or non-Toyota investigators.

If Toyota is innocent, they should simply release the ECU code to an independent analyst who can perform the required testing at the code level using simulation inputs. This way they can test all of the millions of possible input parameter combinations to see if they get any erroneous output commands to the throttle.

For reference, I have a degree in guidance and systems control and wrote control algorithms for various military cruise missles for about 15 years.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 02-11-2011 at 03:28 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #7

FJ Cruiser and Rav4 owners here and my mother in law has a lexus. All no problems.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
For reference, I have a degree in guidance and systems control and wrote control algorithms for various military cruise missles for about 15 years.
Interesting, one of my friends did IR guidance systems for a long time. First with GD in RC, then Raytheon in Redondo. De Curtis ring a bell?
Old 02-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #9

Garage
Besides my love for cars from Deutschland, my Porsche and '66 Volkswagen bug, I'm a huge fan of Toyota. I own 5; a 1993 extended cab truck, 1997 Tacoma 4X4 extended cab, 2003 Lexus ES 300, 2004 Sequoia 4x4 and a 2009 Sienna mini van.

I've never had a problem with any of my Toyota's, never (hint hint, that's why I still have them all). The Governments public lynching of the company (timing was ironic with the Big Three in trouble) and the $50 million in fines for the acceleration and braking accusations was to try a bury them, in my opinion. I have yet to hear if the Government will rescind and refund the fine.

If Detroit wants my money they need to build a car with quality, top engineering and with the best materials. Anything less and I'll be writing a check to Toyota, again.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 02-12-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:25 AM   #10

I have owned maybe 7 Lexus of various stripes. They have all been pretty bulletproof.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #11

Is Toyota paying all you guys to say these things? We all know that the Government never lies or is wrong about anything. Ed

cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote