Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #1

Garage
A Recent hobby i have jumped into.

So recently as a cigar aficionado I have got it into my mind that I will build my own humidor. I already have one but I figure this is something I can do in my free time and build something that I can enjoy and talk about over a nice cigar. Here are some of the preliminary build pictures:

The box is made out of 3/4in cherry. it is 9in tall 8in deep and 12in wide. it will be lined with 1/4in spanish cedar on the inside. it will have all solid aged brass fittings and im playing with the idea of it having a full mortise lock with skeleton key. the hole you see in the front is actually the top. it will hold a stained glass piece much like this picture but without the rainbow sheen:

on that glass I plan on having the acid cigar logo lazer etched in (basically the rider only):

im not sure how i want to finish the box... maybe a light stain im not sure any ideas?

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #2

That's going to be BEAUTIFUL!!! Take your time in chosing a finish. I've always been partial to Truoil (mainly used on gunstocks) but I'm guessing Randall would have some ideas.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 AM   #3

Garage
I just need to make sure that at least on the inside it is sealed very well. since there will be humidity in there (if not then it isnt doing its job!) I was thinking some kind of shellac for the inside. for the outside... idk.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 AM   #4

Natural inside and a Mahogany outside for rich look and feel or even better...Rosewood veneer for the outside.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #5

Garage
Well a veneer is good and all but honestly if I was to do that I should have started with lesser stock. Cherry isnt cheap compared to oak or something to that extent so I dont want to cover it up. The inside needs to just be moisture protected as the spanish cedar WILL cover all the inside.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
Well a veneer is good and all but honestly if I was to do that I should have started with lesser stock. Cherry isnt cheap compared to oak or something to that extent so I dont want to cover it up. The inside needs to just be moisture protected as the spanish cedar WILL cover all the inside.

Is there some kind of liner, plastic or otherwise, to protect the outer wood from the humidity of the inside? I am not sure a cedar lining would keep moisture from seeping through to the outer cabinet. Be a shame to have that happen after all your fine looking effort. Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for sharing.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #7

Garage
Its interesting to see that you like Acid brand cigars also. Beginning as a teenager, I've been a "core" cigar smoker my whole adult life . However, similar to Bill Clinton, I don't inhale either . lol ! In any case, after having been exposed mostly to traditional cigars, I find it surprising to see how much I've come to enjoy the unconventional flavor of Acid cigars.

JD
p.s. The humidor looks like its going to be great !
Old 01-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Is there some kind of liner, plastic or otherwise, to protect the outer wood from the humidity of the inside? I am not sure a cedar lining would keep moisture from seeping through to the outer cabinet. Be a shame to have that happen after all your fine looking effort. Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for sharing.

AKL

well that is what Iam hoping for in using Shellac. it will make that barrier on the inside. then put the cedar over it. on the outside it wont matter much I just have to finish it in a way that it will be protected from the normal elements.

I too started as soon as I turned 18. (even before that but I didnt really have my choice in what cigars I could get my hands on) Mostly, I love partagas, CAO and Cohiba if its a real cuban (which IMHO i think cubans are a bit overrated mostly due to the fobidden fruit situation) but then I ran into acid and its been great ever since. Of course I do still like my traditional cigars but it just seems every time I pick up an acid one or an acid five (i want to try the oppulence 3) they ALWAYS bring a smile to my face.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #9

Hey, the last time I had Acid was in the 60's...I'm still hallucinating.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #10

My favorite part of acid is the flashbacks years later. As I tell my friends, they're free and legal. (And better for you than cigars.)
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
My favorite part of acid is the flashbacks years later. As I tell my friends, they're free and legal. (And better for you than cigars.)
haha, However there are many things out there better for me than cigars like tofu and wheat grass shots... but, you will never see me eating them!