Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2024, 04:23 AM   #1
Miami Frank E

New Member: 2004 Boxster S, Miami, Florida

Glad to be here... Just purchase (one month ago) a near-perfectly maintained 2004 Boxster S. Have only two pressing projects: 1) Replacing the headlamps, which are badly yellowed/wx damaged. In meantime, considering a yellow tint to help conceal the yellow sun damage. Any advice? 2) Would like to by a used, in good shape, salvage set of headlamps. Any marketplace recommendations? And, 3) Need to replace my Cam Shaft Position Sensor. Only YouTube vids are for "Crank" Shaft Positions Sensors. Any advice/videos on 986 Cam Shaft Position Sensor replacement out there? Thanks, and very happy to be here.

frankw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:09 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Welcome to the Forum.

Consider refurbishing your headlights. Many of us have had good luck with progressively finer sand paper and polishing followed by a high quality clearcoat. A search should reveal quite a few results.

There are two camshaft position sensors. The one at the front left isn't hard at all. The one at the right rear requires that you remove the AOS to access it. Might as well replace the AOS while you are there. Are you certain that the problem is not worn pads on the cam chain tensioners?

Articles from the web site owner...
Engine sensors:https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/26-FUEL-Engine_Sensors/26-FUEL-Engine_Sensors.htm

Cam Chain Tensioner: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/16-ENGINE-Camshaft_Swap_and_Chain_Tensioner/16-ENGINE-Camshaft_Swap_and_Chain_Tensioner.htm
Old 03-20-2024, 08:52 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
*Note, after writing the previous post, I realized that your car is an '04 (3 chain engine) and the sensors are located differently. See the Pelican Parts article I linked for details.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankw View Post
Glad to be here... Just purchase (one month ago) a near-perfectly maintained 2004 Boxster S. Have only two pressing projects: 1) Replacing the headlamps, which are badly yellowed/wx damaged. In meantime, considering a yellow tint to help conceal the yellow sun damage. Any advice? 2) Would like to by a used, in good shape, salvage set of headlamps. Any marketplace recommendations? And, 3) Need to replace my Cam Shaft Position Sensor. Only YouTube vids are for "Crank" Shaft Positions Sensors. Any advice/videos on 986 Cam Shaft Position Sensor replacement out there? Thanks, and very happy to be here.
Welcome aboard

2013cossj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster 986 , headlamps , tinted